• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

what causes a tank to crash?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Accidents, mistakes, bad salt, an old sand bed, chemical warfare, oranics, inorganics, I'm sure there are many other possibilities... but those are the ones that come to the top of my head!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Losing power for 48 hours and have the temp in your tanks drop to 55 degrees. Who would have thunk it?

Drastic changes in anything (temp, salinity, ph, a decomposing fish or invert) risks corals becoming stressed and releasing their Zooxanthelle a.k.a. bleaching. Without Zooxanthelle the coral doesn't get sufficient energy and will often times die.

kason42 said:
Kids throwing pennies in them like they're wishing wells. :'(

Cripes! and I was thinking about taking my canopy of my tank for better lighting soon. This makes me think twice! How's this...."As of Feb. 16, 2009, pennies are outlawed in this house. Anyone caught with a penny with have to donate $1 to the salt fund" The leave a big jar at the front door!

Did it cause a lot of destruction?

when i p/u my 90 got it home was setting it up. i p/u a penny of the floor threw it. it bounced of the arm of the couch in 2 the sand.about 6 months later i found it in the sand it was all green. nothing died lol ;D

I'm not so sure a penny would leach copper at all...but if it will....a penny made from 1909-1982 contained 95% copper...the newer pennies made from 1982-2010 is 97.5% zinc. So a newer penny is safer ;D

Lol, this is too funny. What did I start here. lol. While we're at it, if anyone has a 1943, I'll trade you for a 1999. They aren't worth much money ::).

kason42 said:
Lol, this is too funny. What did I start here. lol. While we're at it, if anyone has a 1943, I'll trade you for a 1999. They aren't worth much money ::).

Hey...I'm looking for the same one...but only if it's the copper coin from the San Francisco mint ;D ;D

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Don't laugh. When I first started 30 years ago, we used to put a few pennies in the tank to treat for most fish sickness's.

Ah cool thanks, so its very drastic changes. Knock on wood, I count myself lucky I haven't had any of those yet. 2 years on my current tank now everything is the same as it was then except water and media changes. I'm about to try a different brand of salt. I was using Oceanic for the last 2 years but it tended to keep my pH at 7.94, I read that it should be in the 8.x range. I just bought a 175G mix of Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, should I be worried? Water changes are typically 15-20gal. System capacity is 70G+15G + 110# of rock.

When I did fresh water years and years ago I put a penny in to keep ich away :D hehe.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A lot of us moved away from Red Sea because of the film residue left in our mixing containers.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wouldn't use Red Sea (anything) salt. We had a bad breakout of dinos from using it. BillyR had it worse than we did. Don't do it.