• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What children do/get into (a true story)

Last Saturday we had a graduation party for our oldest son. It took weeks of planning, days of cooking, and many hours of preparation. The weather was absolutely perfect, and we had between 25-35 people in our yard, including young(er) children.

My fishtank is in our dining room, and as hard as I tried to keep an eye on the little ones outside, every once in a while one snuck past me - straight to the fishtank. Before long I heard one of my son screaming: "MOM, the dining room is under water, your fish tank is leaking!" :eek:

I stormed inside, followed by a pack of "gawkers", only to find my fish cabinet wide open, and the skimmer outlet was pushed all the way down and busy pumping water into the stand instead of into the sump, which was overflowing onto the floor at that point. (I have a Octopus skimmer without the modification, if anyone is wondering.) Talk about me nearly having a heart attack. I chased everybody out, except my husband and kids, who grabbed every single towel we own, drying the floor, the cabinet, etc. We went through 2 entire rolls of paper towels, too. Luckily I had enough saltwater made to replenish the sump. Nearly 5 gallons of salt water was lost! I was SO mad.

After everything was cleaned up, the towles shuffed into the dryer, I went back outside and was immediately approached by my niece. Her 4-year old was the culprit. After that confession I nearly had another heart attack, because her son was literally drenched in suntan lotion from head to toe, and I was imagining the worst. I envisioned the little guy's lotion-filled hands playing in my sump water. :eek:

I survived the ordeal, as did my corals, inverts, and fish, but the party ended with "Dennis the Menace" pulling another stunt. As they were saying good-bye, he approached my old dog, who was sitting in front of me, only to pour an entire bag of Capris Sun on top of his back! I looked at my niece, who had witnessed the event, and since I was afraid I was going to lose my cool, I just shook my head, took my dog in, and washed him off (mumbling not so pretty stuff in the process).

I tell you, I've never been happier to see someone leave than that day. I love my niece and her family dearly, but each and every time they are here, something ends up being broken. If only I had the nerve to gently ask her to please watch her children herself, and not to leave that up to other people (ME)

My son's friends told me that they were horrified of me when they saw my face with the tank dilemma. Alex kept telling me to calm down and take deep breaths, lol. Funny thing is that I don't remember saying anything to anyone while trying to clean up all that water, and I'm afraid to ask if and what I was mumbling.

---
Wendy

OMG Wendy my heart was pounding for you as I read the message... I would have completely lost it. I'm glad nothing in your tank was harmed (did you run extra carbon in case of suntan lotion etc?) As a mother of a 3yr old nothing gets under my skin more then parents who don't supervise their children, especially in someone elses home. I realize kids will be kids but that is all the more reason for the parents to be really keeping an eye out.

I've seen those little beeper type gadgets, one gets attached to the childs shoe or clothing, the other stays with the parent... if the child wanders to far it goes off... maybe pick one up to hand her the next time they visit, might make your point LOL

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yikes! Sorry to hear that Wendy. I'm glad everything turned out OK in the end.

So I guess I'm not the only one who mumbles expletives under my breath, huh!

LOL, Candi. I love the idea with the beeper thingy. My mother-in-law suggested I tie a chain around the cabinet next time. NOT! But I may consider putting on child-proof lock gadgets on my doors, especially since we have tons of family gatherings here, and there's a total of 6 little ones (soon to be 7).

Yes, I did run extra carbon right away. I was SO glad I had it here, without having to run out to find some. I also put my skimmer into overdrive for 48 hours, just to ease my mind.

The only animals "this one" didn't mess with were my parrots. I'm sure he avoided them because he knew he could have easily lost a digit had he put his hands into my male Amazons cage. To tell you the truth, my birds are the ones that worry me - just because of the damage they possibly "could" do to a child. I never thought in my wildest dreams that someone would attempt to open the fish cabinet AND play with the stuff inside. Lesson learned - for sure.

---
Wendy

JohnS_323 said:
Yikes! Sorry to hear that Wendy. I'm glad everything turned out OK in the end.

So I guess I'm not the only one who mumbles expletives under my breath, huh!

Thanks John.

And no, you are most definitely not the only one who does that. ;)

---
Wendy

Love the idea of the bracelet around the ankle...lol.

It may hurt initially, but a call to your niece expressing your concerns about "not touching" the fish tank may be necessary.

But perhaps a less-harmful solution maybe a white lie about the toxicity of the saltwater in your tank due to the dangerous chemicals you use...which may cause your niece to be ultra-watchful of her kids.

Also the ultra-toxic shampoo on the dog.

;D

phil519 said:
Love the idea of the bracelet around the ankle...lol.

It may hurt initially, but a call to your niece expressing your concerns about "not touching" the fish tank may be necessary.

But perhaps a less-harmful solution maybe a white lie about the toxicity of the saltwater in your tank due to the dangerous chemicals you use...which may cause your niece to be ultra-watchful of her kids.

Also the ultra-toxic shampoo on the dog.

;D

ROFLMAO
Good one with the toxins! LOVE that idea. Heck, I should remind them what happened when I ingested a wee bit of water, to substantiate the toxicity story. ;)

In all honesty, I asked quite a few people who attended the party whether I overreacted too much with both incidents because I didn't want to hurt my niece's feelings. Other than being told I looked extremely scary with the fish tank story, everyone agreed that I should talk to my niece. I just don't know how to bring it up without making myself sound like....well....you know.

The dog squirting incident bothered me so much because I'm extremely overprotective of Simon. He's my miracle dog, who's gone through so much in life, he's even died during surgery and was brought back by my vet. But he is SO good natured and would never hurt another living being, regardless of what was done to him.

On a lighter note, here are 2 pictures of the graduation:
MikesGraduation6-20-07.jpg

MikesGraduation6-20-07-1.jpg

---
Wendy

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ugh! What a nightmare! When I first read I thought for sure the tank was cracked. "Glad" it was just a sump issue and that everything is doing ok throughout the process. A nightmare none the less. We're so close and we usually have 50g of saltwater mixing, so if you're ever in a bind, make sure to holler this way.

On the lighter note the pictures are great! You and hubby look SO proud and the boys ae both handsome.

Phyl, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart! Gosh, if something like that ever happens again (knocking on wood that it will never), I'll freak out much less now, knowing that you guys would have premade salt for me. :) I was honestly lucky to have had water left because only on Friday did I do a water change.

And thank you about the compliments. Yes, Alex and I are both so proud of Mike. But boy oh boy do I dread August 25th, the day we take him to PA (East Stroudsburg University). I shudder at the thought of it. :'(

---
Wendy

Yea, you do have to watch young kids around aquariums.

My younger nephew really loved seeing the fish. When he was about 18 months old, he just sit on my lap and we'd watch the fish together. He'd get all excited when a fish would come out from behind a rock, and he'd keep this up for almost an hour. We'd do this several times a day when he was visiting.

When he got older, about 10 or 12 he liked to help work on the tank. I'd kid him about coming over and helping me clean out all the filtration stuff. I was just teasing a little, but he actually wanted to do it. We spend most of the day helping me clean pumps, replace carbon, scrape down the front glass, and so on. He really did work hard all day, so I took him out to Toys-R-Us and let him get anything he wanted, within reason.

So I say put them to work next time!(smile)

Hey if you have any Zoas (if not get one) in the tank you wouldn't be lying. You could tell your niece that some of the corals in your tank can release very powerful toxins, the "most powerful organic toxins known to man" and you wouldn't want anything to happen to her daughter..., so she needs to make sure her daughter doesn't go near the tank unless she is with her.

Glad everything worked out well in the end.

Lessons learned for everyone:
Keep premixed saltwater ready before having guests over with kids
Keep lots of GAC on hand for the same reason
Warn parents with kids about very powerful toxins in the water and kids can't go near the tank unsupervised! :)

I like that idea for older kids Dave.

Once they have a little sweat in cleanup on the tank they won't be so apt to cause any grief with it.

Carlo

Wow, now that was an interesting read! I guess people will never watch their children. I hate walking into stores were children are jogging around the store and no parents to be seen! If I would have done that when I was a child I would have a red butt!

jazzsam said:
If I would have done that when I was a child I would have a red butt!

The problem is that if you even raise your voice to your child in a public place people are looking to report you for child abuse, never mind giving them a well deserved spanking.

My wife and my mother-in-law were out shopping in JC Penny's one day with Robert and he ran off and hid inside one of the cloths racks. Both of them searched all over for him, calling him by name. He wouldn't answer and they couldn't see him inside the rack. After a few minutes they were in a panic. He finally came out and my wife grabbed him by the arm and started yelling at him. Some lady nearby started telling my wife to leave him alone, that he was just playing. Needless to say the lady got an earfull from both my wife and my mother-in-law, but the point is had my wife gone and spanked his butt like Robert deserved she probably would have been in jail.

My personal opinion is that people who believe kids don't need a good spanking sometimes are people who don't have kids of their own.

Treadingwater said:
The problem is that if you even raise your voice to your child in a public place people are looking to report you for child abuse, never mind giving them a well deserved spanking.

My wife and my mother-in-law were out shopping in JC Penny's one day with Robert and he ran off and hid inside one of the cloths racks. Both of them searched all over for him, calling him by name. He wouldn't answer and they couldn't see him inside the rack. After a few minutes they were in a panic. He finally came out and my wife grabbed him by the arm and started yelling at him. Some lady nearby started telling my wife to leave him alone, that he was just playing. Needless to say the lady got an earfull from both my wife and my mother-in-law, but the point is had my wife gone and spanked his butt like Robert deserved she probably would have been in jail.

My personal opinion is that people who believe kids don't need a good spanking sometimes are people who don't have kids of their own.

Wow....... You are right, these days people will call the police on your just for getting your children in line! I am glad my parents taught me to behave! I was a strong willed child and I would never have learned by sitting in the corner for a time out! I understand that people DO take it too far and that is not good but you should be able to raise your child how you see fit as long as it is not the extremes.

I've spanked both of my kids in public and my son right in front of a 3 police officers at a street fare. A younger women (late 20s) had an issue with it and ran over to the police officers to make sure they saw me "abuse" my child. One police officer without hesitation told her I had a right to discipline my child as I see fit as long as the child isn't abused. :)

So I wouldn't worry about it too much if you only use your hand on their butt for a whack or two and do it calmly. I bent down, talked to him, then spanked his butt, then bent down and talked to him again. I think doing anything like this in a calm manner has a lot to do with it. If on the other hand you start spanking your child in a fit of rage or get excessive you are asking for problems (and need help besides).

Carlo