• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What do you add to your RO/DI water

So I have read in multiple places that you should raise the alkalinity and some promote adding back calcium to your RO/DI water before adding your salt.

Basically it is said aquarium salt is designed under an assumption that certain levels will be in the source water to start. If you do not maintain these levels you are depleting your aquarium since the salt will not supply sufficient chemicals.

So what are others doing? Thoughts?

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Most of the salts that target "reefs" (Reef Chrystals, Tropic Marin, etc), all have good starting levels for reef. Most have a CA of 440 and an ALK of 10-12. Adding directly to the salt to bring up the levels are needed for Salt like Instant Ocean and some of the others targeted at FOWL.

But changin water along can't replenshish all the calcium. Calcium is being taken out of the water by the corals. You also have the balance of Calcium vs Alkalinity. (As you increase CA, ALK will decrease and vice versa).

So people have to supplement their display tank water, with either a 2 part solution of CA/ALK, or by addtions of Kalkwaser, or a Calcium reactor.

I think todays salt mixes ad all you need to your ro water. That ro right and all that stuff i think is more for cichlids or a thing of the past

I will add a quote from the filter guys, but I have several texts that say something similar.

"It is always recommended to aerate purified water at least eight hours prior to adding to the aquarium or adding a sea salt mix. This is true no matter what type of filtration is used. Since the deionization process strips the water of all hardness, it is recommended that you add back some buffer and calcium so that it does not deplete these items from either the aquarium or the salt water mix. Raising the Alkalinity dKH to 6 would be a great start for the buffer side. The first time you purify a batch of water and then mix the sea salt, measure the calcium level eight hours later. Add calcium until you reach 400 ppm and note how much calcium additive you used. For future batches, add this amount of calcium prior to adding to the aquarium or mixing with salt. Please allow an hour or two between adding the buffer and calcium. "

I think most reefers add their salt mix to the ro and then mix it with a pump for 24 hrs before use. this lets all the elements dissolve and the ph and alk balance out. I think todays salt has everything in it you need, just mix with ro and your ready to use.

As far as the calcium and mag and all that depleting in your system, you have to test your numbers and add when nedded

I guess based on the responses so far, the general reefer does not have the concerns expressed by Anthony Calfo, "The Filter Guys", and others.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Dave, I think there "were" valid concerns, but Reef Salt Manufacturers have spent a lot of time and money changing formulations to address this exact need.

There is also a fine line between the needs of the tank and the needs of the makeup water.

Reef Crystals for example will have an initial ALK of 11-12 when mixed in RO water for the exact reasons.

pgordemer said:
Dave, I think there "were" valid concerns, but Reef Salt Manufacturers have spent a lot of time and money changing formulations to address this exact need.

There is also a fine line between the needs of the tank and the needs of the makeup water.

Reef Crystals for example will have an initial ALK of 11-12 when mixed in RO water for the exact reasons.

Thank you, that is exactly what I was interested in.

that's interesting. I saw the writer/author of that at MACNA. Crazy haired dude fragging corals and making frankenstein colonies. It was neat! ;D

Interesting thread. I just replaced my Pinpoint pH monitor and calibrated it last weekend. Today I started making RODI water for a PWC this weekend. I changed the sediment and DI last weei and the water tests at 0 tds. So I was a bit surprised that my RODI water tested at 9.0 pH. Well that can't be rigth so I tested a 5 gallon bucket of RODI that has been sitting around for a week or so, with the cover on. That tested at 8.9.
Then I tested some aged sw mized a week ago before I moved my new fish to from the QT to the ST. That water tested at 8.03 (Coral Pro salt).

My tests seem to go against that article. Any water engineers out there?

I'm going to check these results with our metrology department as soon as their audits are over and I can find someone who can give me some time.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
In RODI water, since it is 0 tds, there aren't enough ions to accurately measure PH. PH measurement in RODI water requries equipment outside of the range normally used by Reefers.

Once there is *something* in the water (Salt, additives, etc), there are enough ions to get a reading.

:eek: slapping head. Of course. OK now that brain is engaged I checked with an API kit and it's too low for my high range kit to measure.

Thank you.