• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What Happens When You Leave the Tank Alone?

horseplay

NJRC Member
I took an extended trip since beginning of Jan so the tank was left alone since Jan 9 a little less than 3 months. During this time my daughter has been coming every one or two weeks to feed tank and refill the ATO reservoir. I also taught her how to dose 2 parts and measure ALK. The tank is monitored remotely through a webcam. So taking a video of the tank before I am going to work on cleaning it up.

Just turned on the light so some of the corals were still closed.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Did you have an auto feeder to feed the fish each day? That is amazing how clean it is for 3 months. Only a few locations with gha

horseplay

NJRC Member
Did you have an auto feeder to feed the fish each day? That is amazing how clean it is for 3 months. Only a few locations with gha
I sold all the fish except for the one demsel that evaded capture. Tank is fed once a week one cube of frozen food and 3ppm of nitrate.

The GHA is massive but there is almost no algae on the glass.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I have to move in about 2 months. After some debating and research I found out I would have room for my WaterBox 100.3 so I will keep it. Selling a tank you always end up losing a lot of money and end up replacing it anyway.

To move the inhabitants I removed all of them from the bigger rocks. I sold some that are more delicate and more likely to be lost during the move. All of them will go into a temporary tank while the main tank is being setup which I think will take about 4 weeks.

I just discovered cold chisel. I know what it is just never occured to me how useful it is to aquascaping. I used it to break up the big rocks.

IMG_6084.JPG

IMG_6083.JPG

horseplay

NJRC Member
Wow that came out great!! You had so much fun you wouldn’t mind doing it again when I need a custom scape :)
Haha I am taking orders :)

Now that I know what can be done I will do another one and see which one I like. I have enough materials to do at least one more. I am perusing the web for inspirations and this time it will be one piece.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Hard choice. They are both really nice! Which holds more restate for the type of corals you want on there?

horseplay

NJRC Member
Hard choice. They are both really nice! Which holds more restate for the type of corals you want on there?
I plan to keep easy corals. If it's SPS then it would be caps, birdnests and digis. Both are designed with SPS in the back and LPS in front. The first one has more space to mount corals but the second one has more room for growth. For example some monti cap can grow into the open space. Angelfish probably like the first one.

I am gonna put them in the tank after the move and see how they look.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I’m deff paying you to make me one, I need to get my hands on Tonga branch to.
You can't get natural tonga branches anymore. So you will need to wait for people to break down tanks that has tonga's in them. It's difficult to aquascape tonga too.