• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What I learned from our little "episode"

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
As many of you know, we lost power around 10 30 pm Wednesday and we still do not have it back on. We live on the second floor over a business and are just renting. I had a dremel and drill charged just in case to provide water movement in our tanks (12g 20g 30g) and felt pretty good if we lost power through the night. The place is all electric, heat, stove, water heater so the main problem was temperature. We woke up thursday and it was probably 55 in the apartment. I ran over to GregW place and got a battery converter to run a heater and power head but it was not enough. We made the decision for a mass relocation to my parents house about a mile away and they did have power. We made three trips and by this time we already had some losses in the tank. We setup a brute container with heater, powerheads, and a HOB filter at my parents and brought everything up to temperature. Quick tip: Putting a container in the bath tub and filling it up with warm water is a great way to bring the temp up.

So where are we now?
Fish: Flameback angel did not make it even for the move, dead in the morning. Our goby in the 30g was like the captain of the Titanic and did not want to come out. We lost one gold assesor during the transfer. All four of our clowns (two picassos, two black and whites), flame angel, blue spot jawfish, 2 cardinals, one gold assesor, mandarin, and cleaner goby all made it into the brute and are doing well. They ate last night and all four clowns are swimming together.

Inverts: Our bullseye pistol made the trip (even though he nipped my wife), the other two did not. We grabbed a handfull of snails and hermits but left a lot. They were at the low end of the priority list. Three out of four cleaner shrimp made it and both of our flame shrimp.

Corals: We were able to take about 90% of our frags, had to leave behind some pieces of live rock with zoas and what not on them. Again, time was a factor so we went for the nice stuff first and worked down from there. Don't know how they will pull through, we had some polyp extenstion and some zoas were even opening last night. I am grabbing my lighting fixture tonight so I will know more then.

Lessons:
Get a generator, this will happen again.
Have extra water laying around, we had around 12 gallons of salt mixed up which was key in getting the brute up and running. We also had 15 gallons of RO on hand so we will be doing a 5g water change tonight, and then continue through the weekend.
Have a brute (or something similiar) that can house your fish and corals if you need to consolidate. Without that container we were toast.
Small tanks lose heat quickly, beware all you nano people.
I know we are all a bit like pack rats, but keep extra powerhead and heaters around. When we upgraded to vortechs we kept all of our koralias around.
Find someone in your general area that if you need to setup a tank you can do that, kinda like a reefing buddy system.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A few other things that will help in situations like this, battery powered air pumps work great for keeping the tanks aerated and will run for about 12 hours on a set of "D" batteries. And they are cheap. http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3669+3693&pcatid=3693

Also wrapping a heavy blanket around the tank will help keep the heat in. For those with open tops, covering the tank with a piece of cardboard will help keep heat in.

wow - thanks for sharing the tips. Sounds like you two went thru a lot. I'm really sorry to hear about the losses. The captain of the titanic comment made me chuckle. At least you can still find humor in this debacle.

i've got an open top of my tanks - so that cardboard idea is something to tuck away in the mind.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I forgot to mention have good beer on hand as well, when you are done you will need several. I had some Ommegong Chocolate Indulgence and Rochefort 10 which helped get me through.

I like those air pumps, will have to add them to the buy list. Our biggest problem was heat, the apartment is on top of a business so it doesn't have the best insultation out there. The fact that it is also all electric did not help.

Forgot to add that the pistol shrimp picked up a frag and waved it at the cardinal when it got to close to his piece of live rock. That gave us a laugh as well.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Update: All the surviving fish are still alive and active. We brought the light fixture over from the 20g (5 bulb T5) and laid that on top of the tank to give everything some light and put the fish back into their normal sleep/awake cycle. Corals we are losing a quite a bit of SPS corals. The acans and zoas are doing really well and are open with polyp extension. Favias and war corals are doing really well. Some sps frags and colonies are doing well, and as I said some are completly dead at this point. Chalices are about 50/50 some dead already some doing ok, some missing flesh. Of my really nice sps frags ($125 dollar plus frags) one is doing fine and we can't find the other one even though I know I bagged it up and brought it. Purple hornets (7 polyps), captain america palys (15 polyps), WOW palys (15 polyps), nuclear greens and purple deaths are all doing well and are open. We will see what the final count is on Sunday and Monday.

Smcooler will be having visitors very soon when the tanks are back to stable. You guys ready for a great reefing rationalization? Since we missed the ski trips over the last two weekends due to the weather, we probably save ourselves close to $800 (maybe even more) so we would be remiss if we did not spend at least part of that on new corals. ;D See how easy that was?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mnat said:
All the surviving fish are still alive and active.

This deeply saddens me….does this mean all the dead fish are still dead and inactive? Sorry, I have a sick sense of humor.

Actually I was saddened by the news of your power outage. I truly hope you are able to recover and continue with minimal loss. Look on the positive side, you had nanos that could be readily moved and saved. Imagine if you had a 180 gallon tank. I shudder thinking about having a power failure. I actually looked at generators during my daily visit to Home Depot today. About 500 clams for a Husky 4500 watts. I’m definitely looking around and picking up something in the next week or so.

Hope all goes well with your restocking.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
If our little episode helps people in the future, we can at least take solace in that.

Sorry to hear this Mike, Im 1/2 mile away and never lost power. next time you need a life boat, keep me in mind.
A DC-AC Power converter that uses a car as a power source is a very good option, couple of heavy duty extension cords, tank of gas, power strips, car in idle, will see you thu in a inexpensive way. Still holding some of your stock and if you need to restock, help your self N/C. Have plenty but not many high end stuff.
Greg

Greg, I will be calling you proabably on sunday to help us move everything out. Thought your power would be down too, glad to hear it was not.

I have plenty of room in the tanks for stock or can do a plug and play, bring a tank over and plug it in. Sorry I am not on this forum as much as I was or I would have volunteered sooner. Let me know how I can help!!
Greg