• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What is your morning routine?

Homemade mix of pre-made product. I have a belief that nobody fully knows exactly what every coral eats. So I like a mix of different particle sizes and variety of ingredients. I don’t know if it’s any better or if I’m wasting my time. But it gives me peace of mind and corals look dang good

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Homemade mix of pre-made product. I have a belief that nobody fully knows exactly what every coral eats. So I like a mix of different particle sizes and variety of ingredients. I don’t know if it’s any better or if I’m wasting my time. But it gives me peace of mind and corals look dang good
I see everyone with homemade mixes! I need to research and make a morning coral mix like you and a night time fish food - I hear it's much cheaper

I see everyone with homemade mixes! I need to research and make a morning coral mix like you and a night time fish food - I hear it's much cheaper
Its definitely cheaper to make your own seafood mix. If you shop around and find a good price on things like fish and clams. It doesn’t take much to make a whole lot.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Its definitely cheaper to make your own seafood mix. If you shop around and find a good price on things like fish and clams. It doesn’t take much to make a whole lot.
Very excited to tell my mom I am going to be using the blender to make fish food.... I am sure it's going to go great.

radiata

NJRC Member
It's a bath treatment, but I really don't want to go into details until I know for sure what it does/does not do. I'm also experimenting with a bath that combines 3 different chemicals. But I need time to experiment with sick fish, document my findings, and be sure the results are repeatable. I don't want people going all half-cocked with this and then saying it doesn't work.

There are also others involved (this is not just my thing), so I must respect their wishes if we figure out this works.

Count me in for any crowdfunding!

Tank pretty much runs on its own. All I do is check my alk every morning at the same time. I have a 35 gallon top off so I don’t need to check that for 2 weeks.

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Count me in for any crowdfunding!

I appreciate that, but I really need is access to sick fish. Ich, velvet, brook, uronema, etc. Infected but not too far gone (it gets tricky). I might need to setup shop down the street from a Petco or something. :grin:

so as far as my aquatic morning routine... i start off with a big cup of strong coffee to take the fog off my brain, shortly after or Post coffee begins my first aquatic adventure from king Neptune's porcelain throne in which the only see life to make a splash is the New Jersey Brown trout.

following this i go and stare hazzy eyed into my tank to make sure everything is still swimming and stuff

I typically have 50 fish in conditioning + 50 fish in QT at any given time. Below is a video of my QT room (was a light order):

wow! what organization! Im setting up a new 140 gallon and was nervous about having to set up additional tanks for QT. Can you tell me a bit about your process or QT? Do you keep those running always or just when you're stocking? Do you just take water from your main display and run these tanks or do you mix separate water and such?

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I wake up, drink the cup of coffee my wife made me, clean up, feed the reef, more coffee, leave for the office (if wfh then I stumble back upstairs with a new cup of coffee), wawa for coffee, then off to work.

lol

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
wow! what organization! Im setting up a new 140 gallon and was nervous about having to set up additional tanks for QT. Can you tell me a bit about your process or QT? Do you keep those running always or just when you're stocking? Do you just take water from your main display and run these tanks or do you mix separate water and such?

My QT protocol is basically this:
  1. Drop the fish straight into 1.0 ppm chelated copper (Copper Power). Use the Hanna High Range Copper Colorimeter (HI702) to test.
  2. Over the next 3-4 days slowly raise the Cu level to 2.0 ppm. And when I say slowly, I mean do it gradually: Add small amounts of copper to the water several times per day.
  3. 2-3 days after receiving the fish, dose API General Cure. This deworms and treats some other diseases copper does not. 7 days after dosing General Cure, dose it again.
  4. After the fish has been in 2.0 Copper Power for 14 days (and both rounds of General Cure are complete), transfer the fish into a non-medicated holding tank for observation. Nothing from the treatment tank can be reused to setup this observation tank. Only transfer the fish and place the holding tank at least 10 feet away from the treatment tank (to account for aerosol transmission.) You can use black mollies in the observation tank to aid with disease detection: Black Molly Quarantine
  5. If the fish look fine after 2 weeks in observation and the mollies are clear of any disease, transfer the fish into your DT.