• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What light do you use in refugium?

I went to home Depot today and see that they sell some 6500K light bulb. I am thinking of get the light set for my refugium. What do you think? Should I or Should I not? What light do you use in your refugium?
any advice is greatly consider
Olivier

Alot of the companys that make sumps include the light. The light they include is usually compact flourecents. Any light is good for macro algae.

You can try this

what size is your fuge? when i set up my tank I had originally planned on having a 55g sump/fuge under the tank. the middle 24' was to be the fuge, but i just couldnt get it to the way i wanted so i decided to use my old 55g as a fuge and keep the other 55g under teh tank as a sump. so i am using my old 4x65w PC fixture for lighting. however, i had bought a 24' PC fixture that I had intended to use for my original sump/fuge concept, but is now sitting my basement (never been used). So if your fuge is 24' i can sell it to you for a decent price.

24 '65w Daylight 10,000°K and 65w Actinic square pin bulbs. Also has a Lunar LED.

p_rd_16923_24647.jpg

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've used this one for a couple years now.

9267_prod_img.jpg

Fixture and replacement bulbs are available at homedepot, reasonably priced, grows cheto and coralline.

i have LR in my fuge along with grape caulerpa, how do you think my LR would react to this kind of lighting? right now i am using the fixture i had used on my previous tank. there are 2x65w 10k PC bulbs that run from 8am-8pm and 2x65 50/50 PC's that run 24x7. The macro algae grows like crazy and the coraline algae is growing faster in my fuge than in my display. but i am sure the long term cost of running the bulbs suggested above would be much cheaper. along with the obvious lower cost of bulb replacement! since i just purchased all 4 of these bulbs about two months ago, i will continue to use them for the next 8-10 months then consider going in a different direction. if i had been aware of this cheaper alternative a couple of months ago i probably would not have spent the money on new PC's bulbs.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I use regular old flourescent tubes in my fuge. They are called "Natural Sunshine" and I get them @ Home Depot. They work GREAT and are CHEAP! :) which is always nice.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The one I posted is really a screw in version power compact. Another thing I like about that one is you can pop the lens off real easy for cleaning. I don't see why it would have any adverse effect on the LR. It's basically 500W 6500K output.

I am using a 23Watt(90watt equivalent) Fluorescent floodlight bulb from home depot with a reptile bulb stand,the base fits under the fuge.

It works well and is cheap to operate.

HTH

Doug

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and responsive replies. I am heading to Home Depot right now to check out the flood light.
This is going to be great.
Olivier

i've used this for a couple years and it worked great(6500k, 23 watt)-

bulb.jpg

but now i sometimes toss some xenia overgrowth in the refugium and so i use this(6500k, 125 watt)-
(i've gotten the same amount of algae growth since)
fugelight.jpg