• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

what pump and tubing for Phosban Reactor 150?

ryanpal

NJRC Member
i'm looking to get a Phosban Reactor 150. what tubing and pump do i need for this? i'm probably going to purchase from marinedepot so any links to that sites items would be great. also the type of media to use would be of help as well.

thanks,
ryan

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can use a MJ404 for one PO4 reactor or a 606 to feed two (in you want to run carbon in one and PO4 media in the other). For media I'd use the club stock. Check with Phil Gordemer to move some to the meeting at the end of the month for you if you're not in the south.

ryanpal

NJRC Member
is there that much of a benefit to running 2?

also, if i run 1, should i do carbon or phosban?

thanks for the info.

oh yeah, 1/2" tubing is all i need right?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would only run 2 if you had plans to run both media. Many reefers run one, the other or both. It is really up to you and what you keep. If you keep a mixed reef with easy SPS, leathers, zoas, LPS then you would NEED to run carbon to keep the toxic warfare in check. If you're going to run a pure SPS reef you're going to need GFO to make sure that you keep those levels in check (unless you use an alternate system for that) and maybe some carbon for good measure. So really, it is up to you and the style of reefing that you do as to what you would need to run in your reactor(s).

Yes to the 1/2" tubing.

Can you put both in together in one reactor? That was my plan(and still be given the way I am burning through money puttin my tank together).

JRWOHLER said:
Can you put both in together in one reactor? That was my plan(and still be given the way I am burning through money puttin my tank together).
The carbon requires changing much more often than the phos media. You will be wasting money by putting them both in together. Also, if you don't have phosphate problems then you don't need to run a reactor for it. There are many people who don't use the reactors because they don't have any phosphate problems. There are also many reefers who don't run carbon at all. I on the other hand run two reactors, one with phosban and the other with carbon.

ryanpal

NJRC Member
could one then perhaps run the phosban in the single reactor until the phosphates are under control...then run with carbon?

might be a way to beat purchasing 2..who knows ;]

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
No. You're constantly fighting phosphates, one way or another.