• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What return pump?

I am coming into the home stretch as far as getting my new tank drilled/plumbed into a sump/fuge...the last thing that I have to do is get a return pump. The tank is drill with two 1" drains and two 1" returns....it is a 38 gallon tank going to a 20long sump/fuge...The pumps that I have it narrowed down to are the Mag 5, Gen-X 2400 OR the Gen-X 4100...what is the popular opinion here... The head would be about 3ft...mabey 4 AT THE MOST....

Are you looking to use 2 separate pumps or one pump with a "Y"?

2 pumps will run more electricity and could add more heat to the water, but if one pump fails you still have flow.

Do the pumps need to be submersible or can you use an inline pump?

How much flow in gph are you expecting from each overflow?

A Mag 7 at 4ft head with 1" plumbing would give you about 450gph. Problem is, its 70 watts and using 2 of them would really heat up the water.

What about a single Mag 9? About 750gph at 4ft head. Reliable & reasonably priced. 90 watts but a very nice pump.

The Rios definately do move water, but I just question their reliability...as many people do.

An Ehein 1262 might be a better way to go. Just about the same wattage, same gph output and better reliability. Problem is it costs twice as much.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Huge fan of quiet-one pumps.
Internal or external use,low price and I had great luck with them for the past 20+ years.
I run my 150 with 90 gallon sump with 2 4000 pumps.
HTH

BlueLine offers some great external pumps with low wattage.. I just got the 20-HD and it is SUPER QUIET... Amazing to say the least.. only 8 inches long and 4 inches wide/height. Tiny thing.. Maintains 240GPH at 9feet. 1 Gallon every 15 seconds. I tested it myself and this is going out of the tank into the pump out of the pump into the chiller and out of the chiller back into the tank.. Nice round trip, couldn't be happier.

http://www.championlighting.com/home.php?cat=485

Low Wattage and Cheap prices too.. :)