• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

what role does KH play in reefing?

I have googled it and stuff,but can anyone just explain it in normal terms.Right now mine is between 9-10 which from what my testing kits say is on the high end. My ph is 8.2-8.4 and from what i gather the two are dependant on each other. Im just not really sure on what alkaline KH is for.

anyone that can help would be great...thanks..

that's a good article. for the non-chemist like myself it's still above my head and paygrade. i think (operative word being "think") i understand the diff to be the following way.

KH - alkalinity vs. PH - now how much hydrogen ions in water equating to acidic or alkaline water.

In a nut shell KH (alkalinity) is the keeper of stable PH (we want to keep it around 8.2+/- decimal pt). If KH is low PH swings can happen too fast and stability is what all the reefers are trying to achieve in our little emulated oceans inside glass tanks. Therefore more KH the more stable your PH will be in the long run.

second thing i know is the KH gets used up by corals that pull carbonates out of water to build their skeletal bones. it (alkalinity) is used in conjunction with calcium as the corals deposit calcium for their skeletal growth. So KH gets used up or consumed by corals in your system therefore having a tendency to lower itself. Obviosly, the lower your KH gets over time the more unstable your PH will get eventually thus causing your PH to become less stable.

i'm sure some other will add or detract from this so watch for more info....to follow from others.

jtravapd said:
I have googled it and stuff,but can anyone just explain it in normal terms.Right now mine is between 9-10 which from what my testing kits say is on the high end.

The acceptible range is between 8 and 11 Dkh. Your just a tiny bit high not wildly off the scale, nothing to worry about.

thanks guys..i just tested it again..its at 9...my ph is steady so atleast it seems its good for now...i just was unsure what it was i was testing for..lol..