• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What salt do you use?

What brand of salt do you use for your mixed reef tank?

• Fritz RPM

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Tropic marin pro reef

• IO reef crystals

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • IO salt

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Red sea salt

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Reef Flowers caladonia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nyos Pure salt

• Red sea coral pro salt

• HW marinemix pro salt

• Reef evolution sea salt

• Aqua forest reef salt

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
Trying to get an idea on what the best salt choice would be for a mixed reef tank. Ive heard stories about reef crystals and IO salt leaving gunk in your mixing buckets so I stayed away and had tropic marin salt. But with the economy these days would like to save a few dollars so just want to get an idea of what most people use. To start up my tank I used IO salt sonce theres no corals but to maintain parameters do most people just dose? Or they buy top quality salt?

I use mostly reef crystals, but will go to regular io if something drifts high. Used a few others, they were all kinda the same for my tank

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I mainly use IORC but just started using Tropic Marine Pro. Someone getting out gave me a full bucket.

john90009

NJRC Member
You either pay for the elements in your salt, or you pay for it in the additives. I have tried all the other salts and I don’t get the color or consistency from other brands. Even throw it on my frenchfries loll

Rueric

NJRC Member
I've been using Red Sea Bluebucket for a few years now, it's OK.. but I've picked up a big of Fauna Marin Salt and was told this is closest to the "ideal" salt mix..
For reference, I follow the Reef Moonshiners program where its focused around adjusting the major and minor trace elements with consistent ICP tests.. Andre from there has recommended this salt so that is what I trust