• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What salt ?

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
any particular reason? I used IO/RC for years and never had issues. cheap and readily available.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Are you using IORC? I know the dkh is at 11. IO is at 8 Then use the IO instead of the IORC

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I feel like it's contributing to my 11dkh.

I stopped dosing and I can't get alk to drop really

easy answer is get more corals. lol

but yes, IO/RC do mix high in ALK.

my advise is just find the salt mix with the parameters you want to match and grab that. most popular salt mixes are fine.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
changing salts isn't to hard, just do smaller water changes on your regular interval.

have you tried, holding off on water changes till your alk drops?

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I've used Reef crystals ever since I started reefing. never switched

I use read sea blue bucket, mixes around 7.7-8.2. Right about where I keep my Alk.

I switched from instant ocean for the same reason you're thinking about doing it

Crabby

NJRC Member
I used to use Tropic Marin when it was $25 for a box that did 160 gallons. Back when it was the best in it's class.
Currently using Reef Crystals, just started back up after a long while. Only have a few corals she fish and it's all about saving money for me

I use RC but thinking about switching to Fritz RPM since it’s not too expensive but mixes at a lower dkh. Anyone have any experience?

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
I tried going back to RC from Tropic Marin, but TM mixes so cleanly and without leaving that brown residue in my mixing station containers.