• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What size ato resivor

So I just got a ato from mark_c at the meeting.. Trying to set my tank up for minimal mantiance while I am away for 8 days. I have an old 2.5 gallon tank laying around. would this hold enough for a 55 gallon tank? I know there is a lot of variables... just want to keep the tank kind of maintenance free for the person that is chicken sitting for me.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Your resivor should hold plenty of water so I don't think 2.5g will work, mainly if you are leaving for extended time period. Like said above pick up like a 5gal bucket or a 10gal tank. Hell as I write this I just remember I have a 10gal tank sitting in my office at work. A co-worker was going to trash it so I took it (it doesn't look like it ever saw water). If you want it you can have it

Ausome thanks guys and gals. I'll have to pick up a bigger pump, was originally gonna go with a 7 gallon bucket on the floor but the pump I picked up doesn't have enough power to get it up from the floor (no sump). I'll pick up a bigger one today.