• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What size G.H. overflow for a 150 ?

OK

So, I want to order a Glass Holes overflow for a Deep Blue 150 I will be ordering form A.O.

I'll be using a Dart for return and given the head it will see, 1500 GPH is pretty much the max it'll give me for return. Because it is right there, I'm tempted to go with the 3000 GPH overflow. But, the last thing I want is gurgling. My wife has two demands .... Drop dead geourgoues and silent!

So, please give me your opinions on how much overflow is too much overflow especially if you're running a Glass Holes kit.

Help me keep my wife happy and my water flowing!!! ;D

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well you don’t have to worry about “drop dead gorgeous” because those Glass-Holes overflows are a thing of beauty! ;D ;D ;D ;D

You ask an excellent question. Are you planning on running a manifold to run additional “things?” If so, I’d stick with the 1500.

Now I thought when you said “3000” that you would be putting in two 1500 gph units on the tank. However, I then went to the Glass-holes site and found that they now make a 3000 gph unit….for only 135….WOW! Now that makes it drop dead gorgeous, silent and affordable.

These new boxes appear to run off of two, 2” pipes….so now I’m thinking you should go with the 3000 gph unit….not to mention I’d like to see one in person.

I wouldn’t worry about noise. The only time I’ve seen problems with noise had to do with the way the unit was plumbed. If you set up fairly direct to the sump, it should be pretty silent. (The other option is I’ll sell you an MRC skimmer that would easily drown out any noise coming from the overflow. ;D)

I did a little rambling here, but I’d go for the 3000….great price for that little security of having more then enough flow.

I was originally planning on splitting the Dart flow with a portion going to the fuge(s). But, now that I've scored this beautiful Orphek LED fixture, I'm redirecting watts to a second pump to feed the fuges. Now all the flow will go to the DT from the Dart.

However, I'll still have to keep a chiller in line during the summer. There's no central air in my house (yet) and it can get warm during the day, so until I can prove it is not needed, the chiller stays in line. Given the chiller frictional losses and the piping run along with 6-7' of vertical head, I'm looking at 1500-1650 GPH or right in there from the Dart.

The 3000 GPH kit as 2 x 2" drains. That's what concerns me, 2 x 2" drains are huge!!!! If I don't keep them filled, my experience has been they will suck air and be loud! Since I'll never push 3000 GPH, I would probably tie the two drains to one 2" back to my sump area with a True Union BV that can be removed for cleaning to minimize noise.

Back in the sump area, the plan is to run 700 GPH of the DT drain water through the frag tank. Beacause I gotta have a frag tank! With both the frag tank and the main drain ending up on the sump's skimmer feed section. A dedicated Tunze Silence will feed the SRO XP3000 Ext skimmer. I'm not a fan of drain fed skimmers, no consistency.

The $135 300 GPH kits are "slightly blemished", and not in keeping with the "gorgeous" credo. The beautiful 3000 GPH kit with lid is $165, still a good price. 8)

howze01

NJRC Member
Sounds like an awesome plan Bax! I just picked up a 700gph used this weekend for only $40 so that's one small piece scratched off the list for my new money pit!

Nickjr000 said:
A 1500 kit would b plenty, thats all i have on my 215. 2" drains r huge u need a 3" hole saw.

That's what I'm afraid of! If the drains are so big you have the throtle them and it is a recipie for clogging!!!! :eek:

I think I'll stick with the original plan for a 1500 GPH kit.