• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What Size Return pump do i need for a 90 gal tank

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Your overflow determines the size of your return pump. I have a 90 gallon with a 1500 gph overflow, and for years used a MAG 9.5. MAGs aren't good pressure pumps and the 9.5 would most likely work with a 700 gph overflow. If flow was too high you could always put a valve in line or tee off the return pipe and redirect some flow back to the sump.

Anyway, A number of years ago I switched out the MAG for a DC pump. What's nice about these pumps is that they use less electricity and, more important, are adjustable with regard to flow rate.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
If you can go with a dc pump. You can turn it up and down using a controller.
Dc pumps run quite and waste less electricity than a normal pump.

I would buy a bigger dc pump than you need and just run it at 50%.

so you have to calculate how high your return lines is going to be.
Is it pvc or a hose ?
is it straight or a lot of turns.

I have had good luck with the simplicity pumps.
I also had a mag 18 that is in my water changing station and that pump is like
8yrs old now with no problems.

I agree with Amado, if you can go with a DC
The DC pumps use less wattage, than a Mag drive pump. I recently changed to Current USA pump, and power heads. They’re pretty affordable, and they offer a Bluetooth controller
(Sold separately) that is awesome! You are able to control the flow rate from the app, and you can even set up a night mode, where the flow rate is lower while your fish and coral are sleeping

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
I agree with Amado, if you can go with a DC
The DC pumps use less wattage, than a Mag drive pump. I recently changed to Current USA pump, and power heads. They’re pretty affordable, and they offer a Bluetooth controller
(Sold separately) that is awesome! You are able to control the flow rate from the app, and you can even set up a night mode, where the flow rate is lower while your fish and coral are sleeping
ive been planning on getting the return pump how loud is it? i have a jebao and it winds up annoying as all hell specially on max settings cant stand.

D

Deleted member 27248

I have a DC 1050 return pump, looks new…Current USA

LOL! i love it! yah definitely gonan get it i got the wavemakers their pretty awesome i also have their R24 LED light which is nice the loop controll app is meh but it gets the job done nicely
I like the loop app, it’s an affordable alternative to the Apex system. I had the lights and even the speakers, which gives you wave sounds, but I disconnected the speakers