• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What size tank should i look to upgrade to?

mfisher2112 said:
IrradiatedReef said:
I would say roughly $300ish. A 125 is $350ish but has more glass 72x19x24 compared to 48x24x24. If they had to order it, it shouldnt take too long.

You don't have to go with the All-Glass brand, I was more pointing out the dealer list for stores in the area that would most likely have a decent sized tank.

I'm sure Aquarium Center could get me what I wanted in pretty short order. Unfortunately, that is still the closest place that can order anything for me, regardless of brand. Sometimes it sucks living down here! LOL! Maybe I'll just open my own place. Lord knows I have the retail business experience!

If you go with a 120 try
Aquarium Discount Pet Center
140 Route 73 N
Marlton, NJ 08053
(856)985-1701

You'll find their prices to be less than Aquarium Centers

You also might want to check with Ed at I.L.C. as he'll give you a NJRC discount and all these stores are within 20 minutes of each other, Merv and I did them the other day ;D

sinkingbeach said:
If you go with a 120 try
Aquarium Discount Pet Center
140 Route 73 N
Marlton, NJ 08053
(856)985-1701

You'll find their prices to be less than Aquarium Centers

You also might want to check with Ed at I.L.C. as he'll give you a NJRC discount and all these stores are within 20 minutes of each other, Merv and I did them the other day ;D

I didn't even realize Discount pet was still in business. I haven't been there in quite a few years. I will definitely check out Ed's prices too.

All depends on the availability of a certain *cough* *cough* 90 gallon (that is if saltwater4life doesn't want it, I don't wanna steal his deal ;D )

If you buy local, post a price for your setup. I'm minutes from both stores and want to upgrade to a reef ready. Tired of noisy overflow boxes.

TNT: Will do. I may do a price hunting trip on Sunday.

irradiatedreef: Good point. I do like the idea of the dual overflows.

And yes, anything is better than none, and alot is better than the 55 I have now! ;D

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Matt,

Not sure where you are, but Aquarium Discount on Rt 73 in Marlton has some cheap prices on tanks. He was the cheapesy I found when I got my 70 gallon Oceanic.

panmanmatt said:
Matt,

Not sure where you are, but Aquarium Discount on Rt 73 in Marlton has some cheap prices on tanks. He was the cheapesy I found when I got my 70 gallon Oceanic.

I'm in the deep south. ;D Port Elizabeth to be exact. About 15 minutes south of Vineland, 45 minutes west of Atlantic City, 45 minutes north of WIldwood.

So any place is a drive for me, and I frequent Aquarium Center in Blackwood, so Marlton isn't much further. I think I'm going to check them out on Sunday just to see what kind of prices I can get. If I'm going to buy new, I definitely want pre-drilled. The over the back overflow is ok, but nothing competes with the built in.

lol yea i checked at ADPC they had some 120's and 180's really cheap from what i've seen before.
mfisher2112: i'll let you know if i dont take the 90g :p i still gotta talk to my parents ;D

saltwater4life said:
lol yea i checked at ADPC they had some 120's and 180's really cheap from what i've seen before.
mfisher2112: i'll let you know if i dont take the 90g :p i still gotta talk to my parents ;D

Do you recall any prices on the 120s?

Uh-oh, the dreaded "parent clause". LOL! I remember those days. Now I AM the dreaded parent clause! MUUAHAHAHAHAHAH! ;D

I know everyone is steering you away from the 55gallon (including me), but if you don't get the ok from da 'rents on the bigger tank, I have a 30 gallon long (36") and when I upgrade will have a 55 gallon that I can let go REEEEAAALLLYYY CHEEAP! (feel free to PM me)

u will be very happy with a 120 (4x24x24) & im sure u will get many years out of it.
just stay away from the 125 it might be 6 feet long but i think what makes a nice tank is the deepness, a 125 is only 18 inches deep & 24 inches is the way to go.

I agree on the 120
I was my second tank and one of the best I had
48X24X24 is a great size.
Just remember the depth for your lighting
I do not know how good it would be with VHO only
I ran 2X250 Metal Halide and two 46.5 VHO in the hood
There will be plenty of room in the stand for a sump if needed

Jason

Yea, one things I'll mention is to watch out for the 120g that is 48"x18"x30".

While it's nice to have 30" of vertical viewing space it can be difficult to reach the bottom of the tank to move things around. I have long arms and it's a pain but you get used to it. The worst things however isn't the maintenance but the aquascaping of this size tank.

Having a depth of only 18" isn't much when you need to pile rock pretty high. Especially if you DO NOT lean the rock on the back glass. I myself like to make sure I have 1.5-2" of free space all around the rock so I can use a magnetic cleaner on the glass from time to time. It can get difficult/challenging to pile rock high while creating all the "tunnels" and whatnot while only using 15" of depth. A tank with 24" of depth would be much, much easier to aquascape and give you more options.

Carlo

I have had a 120 for around 9 years and never felt the need to get a bigger one or wish I had a smaller one. For me, it has just the right amount of maintenance to fun ratio ;D Personally, I never clean my back glass, I like the look of the coraline algae on it.

You can run with VHOs, but I would limit the types of coral I put in until you upgrade to MH.

The tank I am putting together once I settle in up there is a 120 with a sump/ref of 30-40 gal, 2- 250 10k MH w/ VHO or T-5 actinics. All of the rock I am going to use is from Tonga. Getting 3 different types to vary the aquascape. On one side of the tank im building a rock tower with a ton of crevices to house a Rose Tip Anenome. Im keeping this tower detached from the rest to prevent him from walking over coral if he gets stressed and decides to move. This also prevents future "children" of the anenome from wandering too far. I want to put a full family of Maroon Clowns in the RBTA. Somewhere between 4-6. <have to get them all at one time and they all have to be Juvenile so the hirearchy can form> On the other side will be a standard L shape with a couple of arches housing mostly non-aggresive SPS like Green Birds Nest, Montipora Capricornis and Montipora Digitata. Wife wants a green Plerogyra Sinuosa tucked in somewhere too. Throw in six-line Wrasse, a few clams, maybe a Goby and a small school of Orange-lined Cardinals and I am done other then propagation of the corals.

I guess my point is, I just rambled off a rather nice list that will go into a 120 and anyone who knows tanks will tell you that I will still have a ton of room to add stuff. You will never be sorry with a 120.

<side note, the spell checker is not working suddenly>

man you guys are making me wish i would of bought the 120g the one pet store had by me $500 for a 120g, 30g sump, skimmer,stand and some other stuff but it was right before Christmas... I'll have to see a 120g is nice too (mom and dad said they'd pay for part of the tank as long as i stop asking :p) so I'll have to check around but most likely I'd only be able to get the 90g but who knows ;)

I like the 6ft tanks, but the 18" debth is a hassle. Aqua scaping was tough but I love the long viewing area. The long length of swimming room in the front of the tank is great for my hippo tang. I fit around 200lbs of LR and 200lbs of sand, but feel I have plenty if I ever go to a larger tank. My rock is against the back glass but I have tons of tunnels that the fish circle through.

if you have rush you can wait for a good buy, if not you got there a good link to a good buy, or even if you want to you can buy all new, my own experience, i got my 120g used, was a good deal, with almost everything with it, so if you have patience that you need in this hobby just wait for a good sale so you can jump on it

Gabe