• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What skimmer for this 120g Stock?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The one I have is an old 180 with the recirc. and gate valve mod. I haven't had to touch it in months.
Did you look for a used one?

Euro Reef RS-180 Protein Skimmer
Euroreef CS-250 Skimmer w/ drain kit & gate valve mod
etss 800 super protein skimmer iwaki 55rlt pump
My Reef Creations Protein Skimmer MRC duel mint!
Custom My Reef Creations MR-6 Becket Protein Skimmer

sorry, i thought i sent you the links, these skimmers are on e bay, in my opinion the mrc or the etss are your best bet, if your going full reef you may want to steer clear of in sump skimmers, only my opinion

well what i gather is the heat issue, running an in sump skimmer you have a submersable pump, i know wjth my setup i have enough trouble keeping the tank cool, last thing i want is another heat source, plus with an external skimmer it leaves more room for other things in your sump, like a larger fuge section.

I think it's a valid reason, but I had a HOB Skimmer on my 55, and I didn't like the look at all...thanks tho, you've been a real help, all of you have.

Just a check, do ya'll think starphire glass makes a difference?

My sump is a 100 gal rubbermaid in the basement. I have a seperate 100 gal rubbermaid for a fuge. Room is not an issue. Personally i like the insump skimmers. I can understnd what you are saying for room in a small sump, and there may be some minor heat issue but external heat under a tank with no escape is almost as bad.