• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What to do with a BTA and clown fish

I have a BTA in my tank with a pair of clowns(Ocellaris Clownfish). The BTA is to the side of the tank. Besides not being able to put any coral in that area I can't maintain that area because of the clowns nibbing me alot. I don't know what to do:
1) Bring the BTA to adealer I know who would give me store credit along with the clowns if I get them out.
2) The BTA isn't anything special it never developed the color I hoped it would, and some fish seemed to disappear though I never saw any being eaten.
3) Take the BTA out and leave the clowns, would they be OK without the BTA, the BTA is easy to get out.
4) Anyone interested in it,let me know.
Your thoughts on this Please and Thankyou in advance.

IMO if it's not making you happy, take it out. Sounds like it's time for the BTA to go, your clowns will be fine w/o it... will likely find something else to host. If you really like them keep them, otherwise fine time to part with them too I'd say LOL

See what you'd get for credit, if you're happy with it go for it...if not try posting them here or on RC for sale or trade

Candi,
Took out the BTA and have him in my 30 gal refuge/sump/extra LR tank and that's where he will stay till I figure out what to do. Thanks again in helping in making that choice and the clown are swimming around,looking for a home in one of the corals, The Female cant seem to decide which coral she wants.

I still cant figure out what to do with the BTA. I'm thinking of putting it back into the tank. How safe are they in a reef tank with other fish. I know the clowns would like it back. But are the other fish really safe from it, once it settle down? I know it will be happier in the show tank. :-\

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
BTAs are quite safe in a reef tank. The only problem would be if your tank doesn't have enough light or good parameters to support it, but you'll see the decline before anything bad happens. When they're unhappy they wander which invariably leads them to your in-tank pumps.

We've had anemones and never had a problem with them attacking other fish. Yeah, you do lose a bit of real estate with them and that's something you have to figure out if you want to sacrifice or not. Once mine settled in they never moved again. We have hostless clowns right now. We took their anemone out. They're adjusting.

After meeting with Will and Jazzsam at AQ today they convinced me to put the BTA back into the tank and wait to see what happens. Sorry for all the confusion, and thankyou for all replies and help