• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What to do with a "found" oscar

IDK if this would be the place to post this but I guess its as good as any....A good friend of mine works at a local apartment complex. The resident who recently moved out of an apt left a 55gallon tank/stand with an albino oscar in it (about 10" mabey 12") He said I can take the tank/stand if I want...my problem is that I dont want to oscar as I plan on making this another reef tank...Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with him/her...any lfs that would take it as a donation or what-have-you...or if any members of the board would want him/her....

OH...btw...he does look like he is fighting a bad case of hole-in-the-head...the couple time I went to the apt to help out he just sat at the bottom of the tank and did nothing....would it be better to just "put him down"

Not sure where you're located but I'd contact local LFS to see if they'll take him. I wouldn't put him down. In our area Ocean Gallery, pets pets pets, and Animals and things will ususally take livestock.

Im located in Brooklawn...08030....I dont really trust any of the LFS around me to actually properly take care of him.....

You could always try posting an ad on craigslist. maybe someone w/ a big freshwater tank will want him. I use craigslist for tons of things and generally get a good response.

I honestly think the HITH is too far along to cure....it was in the apt alone with no care for about 3 weeks...From what I can see it does look like it is suffering...just sitting on the bottom of the tank and not moving at all...real labored breathing as well......

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There is a freshwater fish club based out of Freehold that may be able to help you out. I'm not sure of the name or website address.

Embowe said:
I honestly think the HITH is too far along to cure....it was in the apt alone with no care for about 3 weeks...From what I can see it does look like it is suffering...just sitting on the bottom of the tank and not moving at all...real labored breathing as well......

I had an oscar when I was in highschool. To be honest, a lot of the time they do just hang out on the bottom of the tank, sometimes on their side. That is just normal behavior for an oscar. Does he get active when you feed him? Try pellets and a few feeder goldfish. I knew a guy with an oscar that had HITH for years and it never seemed to be too big of an issue. Maybe you can find a home for him, I know when I got rid of my big guy (he was an albino tiger oscar close to a foot long) there were several people who wanted him just locally.

Take care,
Tina

PS - I just found out that someone I work with had a perc clown he needed to get rid of and he euthanized it by freezing. Really too bad, I bet I could have found a home for him with a bit of notice. My point being, I would hate to see the oscar be killed if there is someone out there who would take him and nurse him back to health.

He does get very active when I feed him ...but the other problem arises that I just dont want an oscar and I know if I dont take him ...he will just be "thrown away" ...If anyone knows anybody that wants a 10"+ Albino Oscar let me know..Ill give ya the oscar, and a XP2 canister filter....

Either that, or the local aquarium society (since, with being so close to NJ in Brooklyn.... but also NY, you could check either) or a club or, if you're really in dire need, a forum dedicated to aquatic predators like www.waterwolves.com I'd stick with the aquarium societies, if I were you, since, obviously, most, if not all, members are local and could probably pick-up.

Yeah, Water Wolves is supposed to be all exotics, but, if you politely explain the situation, I'm certain someone will point you in the right direction.