• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What to do?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have having some slight hair algae and wondering what I should do about it:

1) Dose peroxide
2) Dose NoPox
3) Let it be

Water params:
Alk - 10.9
Calc - 430
PH - 7.8
Mag - 1350
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - 0.03

Also, lots of detritus in the sump.
1) Should i siphon it out on next WC
2) Siphon out through floss/sock and reuse water
3) don't worry about it

Thanks for reading.

I would add inverts until it's no longer a problem. Something someone told me a long time ago that rang true...... There's never any algae in a shops snail tank

No need to add anything. I do have a crab and a sea star in my tank only because I caught the crab locally and the sea star was given to me but you really don’t need to any anything down there

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Well - How big is the tank and the sump? The detritus in the sump should be left alone and do not add snails or crabs in sump. They will clog your pump.
In a small setup, detritus stir up can cause a mini-cycle.
If HA is in DT then take out the rock and scrub it and put it back. Add a few turbo snails in the DT.
My foxface ate HA also did kole tang. Depends on tank size.
Lastly - cutdown on feeding.

Good luck!

Adam L

NJRC Member
Get urchins if you don’t have any. I have had up to 4 in my 130 gallon tank. Lost one so down to 3. You will have less coraline but you won’t have gha. If it’s bryopsis, get some fluconazole/reef flux. It’s the only thing that works and it works great.

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I found the pencil urchins clean up hair algae. I'd clean up the sump by using a power head (maxi jet) or the like as a vacuum and not stir it up and try to keep it clean.Use a good filter sock or bonded filter pads (the blue or pink) you buy in rolls and it should help keep it clean.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have two huge turbo snails and a long spine urchin in DT which is 80g. Adding fish is a problem because my YT destroys new tank mates. I can add smaller snails or maybe a pin cushion urchin as maybe the others are to big to fit in the spot.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Turbo snails are not good algae eaters. You need an army of inverts. Urchin are great long spine in my opinion are the best algae eaters.
You can also get a lettuce sea slug they will eat everything.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Turbo snails are not good algae eaters. You need an army of inverts. Urchin are great long spine in my opinion are the best algae eaters.
Yeah. Kind of pissed because on Black Friday an online store had nudi for $15.

Adam L

NJRC Member
I found the pencil urchins clean up hair algae. I'd clean up the sump by using a power head (maxi jet) or the like as a vacuum and not stir it up and try to keep it clean.Use a good filter sock or bonded filter pads (the blue or pink) you buy in rolls and it should help keep it clean.
I have stuck with tuxedo, purple and white urchins. Never tried pencil myself.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I disagree. I have never had a urchin in my tanks. In my 350G I had maybe 50 Mexican turbos and they kept the tank free of GHA.
Be warned though, they also love the seaweed and will be first ones to get to it beating the tangs ;-)