• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What types of fish for nano

Five-Tiao_people

NJRC Member
Hi, guys,

I have a 10 gal display tank with 25 gal sump, already had a pair of pistol and wheeler goby and bunch of corals and inverts. But since its a new tank, it is still quite empty.
I am looking for some active fish to add to the tank but have no idea what species I should consider. I tried damselfish but they don't get along with my pistol.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I second firefish, they are nice peaceful swimmers - just make sure you have a top, they are known to jump.

Look into trimma an eviota gobies. They are tiny, so a pair or group can go in a 10 gallon. they are perchers and hoverers, so will be on the rock work and upper part of the tank. I had a pair of trimma rubromaculatus in the past and they were pretty active. There are captive bred trimmas on the market now, so they're easy to find online even with the importing issues.

A small blenny would be fun - I love twin spot blennies (they are probably the smallest), and tail spot blennies should do well in that tank size. Small barnacle blennies are great too, and can be kept in groups if you have enough hidey holes - though they are not active swimmers until food hits the water.

Assessors basslets are also great peaceful fish - they tend to be pretty active once they settle in and are fun to watch because they like to swim sideways and upside down.

Ooh or a possum wrasse/pygmy wrasse can do well in a 10 gallon. They are really unique looking.

I second the blenny. Comical fish. And I personally found the tails spot Blenny to be a darn good algae grazer. And beautiful fish