• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What were we thinking…

Stephen8169301

NJRC Member
As some of you may know I had to break down my tank due to moving and the purchase of my family's new home. I decided to make this thread because my house is a complete renovation and will be an ongoing project for many many years. My goal of this thread is to help people in this community with repairs to their home and give confidence to take on projects they thought they couldn’t do. I will also use this space to learn from the group and get tips and tricks myself as I am no expert whatsoever to home improvement. To anyone that wants to post questions about their home please post away this is an open thread for you to hopefully get advice. I encourage anyone to post anything home project related. We all know in today’s economy it is not cheap to have the experts come out and do the work and we need to save every dollar we can to keep our reef tanks going.

Feel free to follow along this long long journey of home improvement and home projects!

IMG_9066.jpeg

Last edited:
I recently bought a house as well. My system is currently running back in the apartment. Deadline is the 1st. Very stressful. Trying to balance the work around the house and the work around the fish room. The limiting factor is not me, the limiting factor is $$$
So far...
Learning about well systems/ septic
Fire pit
Cameras everywhere
Some bidet installs (still need to replace shut off valve to toilets)
Trampoline for the kids
Few gfi
Light switch turned into junction box
Tanks plumbed
LEAVES. So many leaves
Ripped up wooden garden beds due to them being termite farms
Anyone got $800 laying around for some exterior doors?
What have you been working on ?

Seriously let's hang in there

Stephen8169301

NJRC Member
I recently bought a house as well. My system is currently running back in the apartment. Deadline is the 1st. Very stressful. Trying to balance the work around the house and the work around the fish room. The limiting factor is not me, the limiting factor is $$$
So far...
Learning about well systems/ septic
Fire pit
Cameras everywhere
Some bidet installs (still need to replace shut off valve to toilets)
Trampoline for the kids
Few gfi
Light switch turned into junction box
Tanks plumbed
LEAVES. So many leaves
Ripped up wooden garden beds due to them being termite farms
Anyone got $800 laying around for some exterior doors?
What have you been working on ?

Seriously let's hang in there
Congrats on the new purchase it’s an exciting thing to do and a big accomplishment the thing I have to keep reminding my self is to take it slow one thing at a time put a list together with the highest priority to the lowest.

Leaves are the worst I have a bunch as well haven’t even had time to get in the yard to work.

Currently what I’m working on is new insulation and drywall in our bedroom and we’ve been sleeping in our daughter’s room for the time being. We have people coming out to install recessed lighting in our home tomorrow because we only have lamps. I’ll be posting photos up once I start working back in the room this week

Goodluck on moving and always remember it’s an exciting time

Salted

NJRC Member
We just got back from looking at houses in Florida. Starting to make more of an effort now to get the place freshened up to sell. Since our oldest moved out I've been refinishing his bedroom. I'll be heading to do the last coat of poly on the floor in a few minutes. I'll be replacing all the trim so it's nice and fresh. Next will be new flooring in the kitchen and laundry room and paint the kitchen cabinets. At some point they'll be a tank breakdown thread as it won't be going with me. Possibly start over down there.

Stephen8169301

NJRC Member
We just got back from looking at houses in Florida. Starting to make more of an effort now to get the place freshened up to sell. Since our oldest moved out I've been refinishing his bedroom. I'll be heading to do the last coat of poly on the floor in a few minutes. I'll be replacing all the trim so it's nice and fresh. Next will be new flooring in the kitchen and laundry room and paint the kitchen cabinets. At some point they'll be a tank breakdown thread as it won't be going with me. Possibly start over down there.
Wow that’ll be awesome feel free to post in this thread when doing your projects and all the set backs and learning from your experiences if you can.

I found it easier and stress free to do a breakdown and start fresh even though I was moving 20mins away with all the projects needed to get done lets me focus on my house and the moving.