• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What's the lowdown on HQI

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think the difference is that the HQI uses a electronic ballast and the non HQI use a magnetic ballast. Also the HQI needs a glass filter to cut the UV that it omits.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I haven't been able to find a replacement bulb for the Viper K2 150W clamp-on. Is it because I've been looking at the regular DE not the HQI kind? The bulb runs small in the Viper.

finksmart, the Viper K2 takes a 70W bulb iirc.

I'm 99.9% sure that all aquarium DE MH are HQI. They may run on either magnetic or electronic ballasts with electronic being the better option for efficiency and bulb life. All DE bulbs have to have a UV filter, typically glass, because they lack the built in protection that SE (Mogul) MH bulbs have.

Do you mean it's a 70w bulb driven by a 150w ballast?

I bought a standard RX7S base bulb but it wouldn't fit because it's too big. This is why I asked if there's any difference between the regular DE bulb and the HQI DE bulb.

vangvace said:
finksmart, the Viper K2 takes a 70W bulb iirc.

I'm 99.9% sure that all aquarium DE MH are HQI. They may run on either magnetic or electronic ballasts with electronic being the better option for efficiency and bulb life. All DE bulbs have to have a UV filter, typically glass, because they lack the built in protection that SE (Mogul) MH bulbs have.

Viper k2 lamps come in 75w, 150w, and 250w, just go onto marine depot and type in Viper K2 and they will all come up.