• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What's your electric bill?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There are some things you just don't want to know. My wife pays the bills, so I have no idea. However, I know it's a lot better now then it was a couple years ago. I originally ran T5s and a skimmer with a MAG 24. These two pieces of equipment drew 480 watts and 265 watts, respectively, for a total of 745 watts. By changeing to LEDs and a SWC skimmer, I'm now only using 240 watts and 26 watts respectively, for a total of 266 watts. So from 745 to 266 has got to be saving me something.

We range. Winter, $150ish. Summer, with AC running, about $250. Can vary depending on how hot the summer is.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Whole house it's crazy granted I have two tanks. And electric dryer stove and oven. I tell my wife it's all the other stuff not the tanks but she knows the truth.

Like Ed we have an electric dryer with at least 2 loads a day....at least. I'd say 220 most months to 300 in the peak AC season.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I ring up at ~$300/month in winters, much higher in summer with AC and Pool ;)

Part of my tank plan was to try and keep the carbon foot print (cheap bastard :)), as low as possible. My Tunze skimmer uses 15w, my 3200 gal return pump uses 165 w and heats the tank 8 months out of 12. Running LEDS Gyre with WP 40. Looking at my bills so far it looks like my tanks are using approx $50 a month. This includes a 29g gallon QT tank running,

Tank costs me about $50 in electric, but if I include the water, salt, food (no new additions), I would say its about $75 a month.

Sounds like we are all on the same page with don't ask , but I'm guessing mine runs me about $50 a month , one of the benefits of LEDs