• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Where do you get your sand?

Where does everyone get their sand from? Where are the good deals a prices at in Monmouth and Ocean county?

Im looking to add a sand bottom to my new 120 gallon tank. Don't really want anything to deep, just enough really to give it a nice look and cover up the bottom. What size and style does everyone like. I've been looking at some tanks with the Hawaii black sand and it looks interesting, anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks in advance.

LFSs if it's an option for faster availability unless you want to be specific.

I like Tropic Eden Reefflakes so I have to purchase from Premium Aquatics. I like using Amazon because it is available from Premium Aquatics with Prime.

Otherwise, I have seen a lot of recent votes on CaribSea Special Grade.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
CaribSea Seaflor "special grade" sand. If I wanted it quick it was purchased at Tropiquarium or Petco. I never buy "alive" but always dry. If I am not in a hurry then it's BRS, MarineDepot or Dr Forster Smith

Get it from the beach and rinse thoroughly. That way, you pay nothing and just need to put in some elbow grease till it runs clear.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Get it from the beach and rinse thoroughly. That way, you pay nothing and just need to put in some elbow grease till it runs clear.

I rather pay the $1 a pound. ACC dry sand is very clean; 1st time I rinsed once and fine. The second time I just dumped it in with no issues and cleared very quick.

I rather pay the $1 a pound. ACC dry sand is very clean; 1st time I rinsed once and fine. The second time I just dumped it in with no issues and cleared very quick.
I don't disagree as long as that deal is still running. Beach sand is nice in the sense of being fully cured with "real" sand.