• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Where to buy fish

Aquatic obsessions IS great, you’re right. Big miss on my part. Their website is still up, I’d be surprised, and sad, to hear they’re closed. I called earlier in the quarantine and they were running limited hours then. Will is a good guy, very knowledgeable and no sales pressure; quite the opposite. He wants to make sure his livestock lands in a good home.

Aquatic obsession is still open. I was there about a week or 2 ago. They just have different hours because of covid.

That said, I would now only strictly buy from Aquarium Care center and Reefco because they start treatment in their tanks and have always been straight forward with me. I sincerely wouldn't go anywhere else. Ive tried others named here and had horrible experiences. Some of which I'm still dealing with right now. (fallow period because of ich).

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Well I like reefco and aquatic obsession.
I am very lucky to live between these two stores.

They both date and label all the fish.
Will at aquatic obsession has a little more exotic and hard to find fish.
Brian at reefco is more of a coral shop that also has fish. Brian is a coral collector and you can tell by the amount of frags in one store.

Ocean gallery2 is right between these two shops. They are a bigger store with a little bit of everything. This use to be the place to go 10yrs ago but not so much anymore.
They have a large selection of fish and corals.
The good thing about this store is that they still sell large colonies. So if you want to buy a big piece of coral you can find some in this store.

If you live in NJ you shouldn’t order fish online. Leave online fish buying for people from Ohio or Nebraska lol
In nj you have so many good LFS you should buy local and make sure you get what you like.

Last edited:

Five-Tiao_people

NJRC Member
Well I like reefco and aquatic obsession.
I am very lucky to live between these two stores.

They both date and label all the fish.
Will at aquatic obsession has a little more exotic and hard to find fish.
Brian at reefco is more of a coral shop that also has fish. Brian is a coral collector and you can tell by the amount of frags in one store.

Ocean gallery2 is right between these two shops. They are a bigger store with a little bit of everything. This use to be the place to go 10yrs ago but not so much anymore.
They have a large selection of fish and corals.
The good thing about this store is that they still sell large colonies. So if you want to buy a big piece of coral you can find some in this store.
Yea, I am also aware of reefco, been there almost every other week just to check if they have anything new. I will visit ACC sometimes this week to get some corals.

Absolutely fish is also good. The guy that has my old 35 system was trying to buy (Dory) yesterday and as soon as he said that was a 35 they didn’t sell her.

eli smoke

NJRC Member
Pets plus in mays landing rents a little corner in the back with fish and coral. Reefabout is the name of it. Nice guy good prices. FishOfHex online. Ships out of pa so next day was 18 bucks for me. Coral no fish.

My go-to places have been Aquaridise, Petco in Brick, and Aquatic Obsessions. (Ocean Gallery too but it’s a little out of my way)

Petco has a bad reputation from what I see in videos...
That doesn’t apply to the Petco in Brick,, Andrew that runs the saltwater fish at that store really knows his stuff and he takes good care of his tanks, also gives nice discount to NJRC members, at least in my experience with that Petco , I give it two thumbs up

eli smoke

NJRC Member
I stopped in petco in brick awhile ago in my travels I was impressed. I bought a clam that ended up being crab food. I don’t petco for that. I don’t think I was ready to take on that challenge yet.

Just made a run up to Salgado Aquatics today. He's got purple tangs at $100 and gem tangs at $375 right now. All sizes from small to large. Every time I go there, I walk out with more than I planned. He gives discounts in-store and normally has a few fish that he doesn't have listed online as well. Great stuff!