• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Where to go near Edison, NJ???

So, I spend 3 days/week in Edison, NJ for work (I am the webmaster for the DVRC and live in Chester County, PA). It is 6:15pm and I would be normally leaving here now to go to Aquatic Obsessions, but alas they are closed today.

So, anyone have suggestions of cool places to go around here??? I don't NEED anything, but could be persuaded to pick up a coral or clam or fish or shrimp or whatever.... :)

Thanks in advance,
Derek

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Derek

For laughs you could go to Animals and Things. It's right down the road from AO. Don't expect to buy anything though.

Bob

Oh, yeah, been there....ugh...

I had high hopes for them for equipment, lights, etc when I first went in. The aquarium supplies section is huge. But, its all crap and the test kits and chemicals look like they have been there for years. I have to assume there is a shelf life on that stuff...

I live in Metuchen so depending on where you are in Edison you are probably passing me...lol. I would try Red Sand in Dunellen - it's not that far - again depending on where you are in Edison (north or south). No website - but check out the forum for Red Sand for location/times info etc. I haven't been there since his accident with the frag tank- but the display is pretty impressive. Not Trop impressive - but impressive nonetheless.

Phil,
I head to Metuchen for lunch sometimes. I am actually on Thornall right by MetroPark and I stay at the Sheraton on Rt 1.

I will check out Red Sand. Thanks!

Do people still even drive route 1? Sheesh that road is grid-lock city when everyone descends on menlo and woodbridge and the turnpike/gsp.

Hmm - you're a little far southeast of Red Sand. To get to it you'd have to get on 287 - take exit 5 or so and go local straight north. When you get to the train station - he's right there on the corner of washington. Parking is parallel only on the meters in front of the store.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is that the same train line, Phil? Would it be easier to take the train?

Phyl said:
Is that the same train line, Phil? Would it be easier to take the train?

Good question - I had to look up njtransit to answer that one.

Unfortuately no - dunellen is on the raritan line and metropark is on the princeton line.

Believe it or not I have never taken NJ transit yet. Only been in NJ less than 2 years and driving has been the name of the game. If my job were in NY I'd definitely train it. Half of edison seems to come to metuchen to take the train.