• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Which sand would be best?

Hello,

I am getting my bearing on the sand I am going to use in my Nano. It will be no more then 2". I have two sand that I am considering. Which one would you say is better for my fishless reef.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...oduct_Code=C-ARAG-L-RS&Category_Code=Livesand

or

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CS0932

From my reading I have found that 1-2mm is preferable. However, since it is a shallow sand bed I figured that the .0.5-1.02 mm grain size might be better in 10.5 gallons of water.

What are your thoughts?

From my e4xpierence with nanos which isnt that long i would try and find some tropical play sand. It might be hard to find but def worth it and get some live sand from someone to seed it with. The sand that you buy from these stores cost so much money when the tropical play sand is a fraction of the cost and serves the same pupose when you seed it.

Small plug - the 6 gallon nano tank that i am selling had 36 watts of PC and tropical play sand had lots of flow. In small tanks i Had a aquaclear 50 on it and a small powerhead.

Maybe somebody else who has used that type of sand can offer you some more info. good luck though

Hey, I can spare some sand, if you can get some others to do the same,
you won't have to buy any, at least not at a huge cost. Most people now days are using play sand from Home Depot or Lowes. It's silicate based, and not what I would want in my tank, but others don't have a problem with it. I have Southdown, bought it when it could be found. It's no longer around.

Anyway, I can give you a couple of good cups of sand. Maybe some other can do likewise?????

edwin

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. However, I only need about 20lbs so buying a bag for 16 -23 dollars is not that big a deal. I think I am going to go with the

CaribSea Aragamax Oolitic Select Sand 30 lb

It seems like a nice mixture, small enough to be used in a SSB and I have a little extra if needed. However, if anyone else sees this post and feels there is a reason I should use the other one, then please speak up.

I appreciate your help and time. Thanks again for the offers!