• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

White Balanced pics

C

concept3

After owning this camera for over 5 months, I finally decided to read pages 39-41 of the booklet :)

I found out how to do the white balance, and BOY does it make a difference!

I tried all night to no avail in taking actinic pictures.  I always wondered why it is so hard to take actinic pics and
make them similar to what we actually see.  I've known about the white balance for sometime now, but found it
unneccessary to utilize it since I don't really take pics.  Well, tonight was the night.

This was taken PRIOR to white balancing.  Believe it or not, this was ONE picture of the 22  I took that came out close to
decent as "in person"

This first shot is with the ACTINICS only

actunbal.jpg

and the second one is same as above, but with photoshop for COLOR CORRECTION

actunbalflash.jpg

============================================================

This one is ACTINICS+FLASH

actunbalwithphotoshop.jpg

This is the same as above, but with ACTINICS+PHOTOSHOP for color correction

actunbalphotoshop.jpg

=========================================================

And finally, the WHITE BALANCED PICTURES

First was with actinics only, no flash.  Second pic is the same but with photoshop with color correction and a little unsharp mask

actwhitebal.jpg

act-whitebal-with-photoshop.jpg

Here was my Tool for doing the WB, I think the last pics look very close to what we actually see, although the first pic looks good in its own right.  I just like taking pics to what they are cloer too in real life. 

I'll be balancing my Camera for Outdoor sunlight now, and I'll be doing a preset for my 10,00K lights + Actinics sometime this week.

PVC-balance.jpg

C

concept3

well, that's that for the balancing. I got 3 more pics, here they are! Enjoy!

Green cap with purple rim

montipora.jpg

Efflo

efflo.jpg

Soft stuff (yech)

soft.jpg

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've been afraid to mess with the white balance... I figured that it's one more adjustment to mess up!

Maybe I will give it a shot now... Making presets for different situations is a great idea...Guess I will have to break out the manual and get myself more confused!

ReefDrumz said:
I've been afraid to mess with the white balance... I figured that it's one more adjustment to mess up!

If you don't want to mess with white balancing on your camera, or, if you don't have a camera that has a white-balancing feature (like me), you can always white balance the hard way. Before you start taking some serious pictures, tank at least a few with a white card in front of your subject matter under whatever lighting you plan to photograph under. Then, you can adjust your levels, contrast, and color in Photoshop to compensate for your camera, using the white card as a reference. Once you get the settings pretty spot on for the white, you can then use the settings on the rest of your photos and tweak as necessary.