• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

White stringy fluff on Coral Beauty

Good afternoon. Today while doing my water change, I noticed something on my coral beauty. It’s a single, fluffy spot by the bottom front of one of its gills. It’s much larger than a grain of sand and has a part that trails from it like a string, about twice as long as the fluff. Almost looks like mold with a string. The fish has been in the DT for over two weeks and only started to come out of hiding in the rock work a few days ago. It’s put swimming around, not rubbing or swimming into the flow, and eats like a pig. I was out of the hobby for a while, but it doesn’t look like I have, brook, or velvet, all of which I’ve seen before. The only other fish in the tank are two small clowns who show no signs of anything ( other than their normal craziness.) I’ve tried for over an hour to get a picture, but the angel is still very shy and stays in the caves if I’m too close to the tank.
Any idea what it could be? Parasite, fungus, infection? I’m stumped. Any help would be appreciated.
I tested the water before the water change and everything looks ok.
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia and Nitrites are at 0
Nitrate 5
PH around 7.8
Phosphate 0

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member

Thank you. I’m not sure though. It seems to be more fluffy. Similar to mold on old food. White fluffy and stringy. Could it be a fungus?

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
A good pic of the fish would help diagnosing

I know. I’ve been trying. As soon as I get near the tank, hides. Will not come out unlit I step away, then is out swimming again. Just came off of another 20 minutes of the fish staring at me from the cave. I managed only one picture... it was the wrong side of the fish.