• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

white tubes growing

I have tiny white tubes near my sandbed. Anyone know what they are? They are about one inch in length and 1/2 mm in diameter. They are on the rock right near the sand. THe tubes look like they are made of sand.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Definitely not spaghetti worms. They don't have a tube to them and are usually reddish/brown in color. Harmless tube worms though and are beneficial filter feeders to your tank. Do you see little fan like circles coming out of the end of the tubes at all?

Phyl said:
Definitely not spaghetti worms. They don't have a tube to them and are usually reddish/brown in color. Harmless tube worms though and are beneficial filter feeders to your tank. Do you see little fan like circles coming out of the end of the tubes at all?

The spaghetti worms I had in my 55 had a tube. They formed up through the sand and sent out tiny white tenticles (looked like litte noodles) that they used to grab detris and any scrap pieces of food that might be around them.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I stand corrected. I've never heard those in tubes referred to as spaghetti worms before. Thanks, Jack. Ya learn something new every day!