• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Who makes the best Metal Halide HQI bulbs?

Right now i have a 15,000K 150 Watt bulb that came with my Sunpod systems. I noticed while cleaning the glass in the filament part looks close to black.

I want to stick with the 15,000K bulb becuase of the tint of blue. I always feel the bulbs that come with new systems are kind of crappy..

Any input on some bulbs would help.

I'm using 250W Hqi and have only used Ushio and Phoenix bulbs. I found the Ushio 10ks are a bit yellow for my taste, the Phoenix 14k have great color but stunt the growth of my corals and I just replaced the Phoenix with 14k Ushios this morning so will have to update you later as the halides aren't on yet. From what I understand the 14K Ushio's are a crisp white with higher par than the Phoenix bulbs.

I like the blue look but i dont think i wanna go as blue as a 20,000K.. Unfortunately with out using Acnitics on my tank i think i have to stick with the 14,000K.

Marine Depot has ushio doubled ended MH 14,000K for 69.99

I replaced both my PCs(2 24W)and halides both of which were 8-10 months old, my colors seem to be popping more. The color of the halides is not as blue as the Phoenix but it could take a week before their true color comes out ???