• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Who uses those acryllic top-down photoboxes...suggestions?

I ordered mine right from melvinsreef.com
I am in east Brunswick 08816 not to far from you if you want to borrow it to see if it's worth the money for ya..
7d1c4d47.jpg

what do you think? is the workmanship solid? I'd really be peeved if i put my DLSR into salt water...
The workmanship is top notch the way it's built it is pretty tuff to submerge the box and get your camera wet and even if you do start to flood the box you have some room between the lens and the bottom of the box before you would ever get the lens wet....

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They both look like very good products. I've been wanting something similar myself and have also been wondering how much cheaper it would be to just make one.

I was thinking of just getting an acrylic tube (prefer black, but haven't been able to find any), maybe 4"+ ID, 6"-8" long (or whatever length works for your lens(es))... and then just welding (using Weld-On) an acrylic plate to one end. Obviously, I'd check for leakage before testing with the camera. Maybe I could even drill some holes and add some nylon screws like Avast has to hold it to the camera lens? Seems pretty easy to make to me.

I'll look more into it when I get some free time and if I find a cheap / easy alternative I'll report back.

look like my DIY camera lens adaptor . clear PVC tube with a 4x4 sheet filter glue on front. I don't know they actually have these so I made one simple.