• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Why are torches so popular right now?

Subliminal

NJRC Member
10 years ago you couldn't give away frogspawn...torches seem to be basically the same thing.

Now, they're like the most expensive, coveted coral.

I think thats the only reason I want one. But I'm too cheap...because they're too damn expensive. They're like more predictable anemones or something..?

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
Its a trendy market from what ive seen over the years. Jaw breakers were the THING not too long ago. Now i see them still overpriced but nowhere near the $500+ sticker. Gonipora did the same thing.

Damn instagramers bouncing them around in heavy blues on their reels, lol. I remember getting torch corals for less than $60 like 3 years ago now.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Ultimate Corals and Coral Garage have decent prices and are located in NJ- so you can save on shipping by picking up- both are listed in the vendors section

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I remeber the days when I would buy gold torch colonies for $35.00 because nobody wanted them. When we bought them wholesale they would list them and hammers as assorted color and the price was somewhere around $17-$28 dollars. Ahh,the good ol days.... :)

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
It's the new flavor of the month LOL. There are so many wild one being imported in really cool colors and shades. I personally try and stay away from the wilds as they can bring in all sorts of nasties like the new eupylia eating flatworms that are dip resistant. Pretty much all of our euphylia is tank raised and aqua cultured. Ours start around $60 a frag (not a head/mouth)

Speaking of prices.... I remember years and years ago doing a NJRC frag swap and selling aussie gold torches for $50 a frag and everyone said they were too expensive LOL. Now the good ones are 150-200 per head wholesale.