• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

why do places think a 3" frag is a colony

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
so I've been seeing a lot of sales going on all over fb. I go to check out the website on some frags, and they show a picture that says "mother colony". I click on it and see a 3" or 5" max coral. usually when someone says colony, it's a coral that's has more than 50 branches. is it just me, or is this not considered a colony ? then again i consider myself an OG reefer, so I've seen people's tanks over run by corals and that's what I call a colony.

Last edited:

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
That word colony is used loosely.
Same thing with what people call a frag.
I seen people put 1/2 a polyp in a tiny frag.
Most of the frag that people sell are too small to fit
In my frag rack. Lol I have to move it to a heavier frag so
My pumps won’t blow it all over the place.

Reactions: DEL

erics210

NJRC Member
I think Roca is getting warm. MONEY!

But what I find wierd is people have almost trained themselves to only buy little frags.
I run into two issues up here in the Northeast NJ area. When I offer soething for minimal money..."What's wrong with it?"
And secondly I had an AWESOME Zoa Rock. It was made up of Nightmares, Pyrple Monsters, Orange Oxides, some hornets and rainblw infusions. Probably 150+ polyps. Looked great.
Someone would ask...How much? I would tell them I would prefer not to sell it, but if you rally want it I would do $300.00, which I felt was a GREAT price. $less than $3.00 a polyp for any of those mentioned is solid pricing.
Pssshhh
You should see the look on people's faces. $300.00....You are out of your mind...
Then comes the ... I will take the 3 polyps of Nightmares for $25, and 5+ Polyps of Purple monsters for $25. Oh and do you have any Xenia, Kenya Tree, GSP and Red Mushrooms...SMH
They walk out of here spending $75+ but have all these little frags instead of this awesome statement piece.

SMH

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Lame but if the 3-5 inch piece is what they’re chopping up, I guess it’s the mother colony. If a guy sells frags, I guess everything else is a colony? Lol wtf?!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I usually here mini colony. Agree if they chop up something they call it the mother colony. :(

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Money, Money, Money that’s why. You see what people frag now? back in the day we wouldn’t even touch the colony till it was 6 or 8 inches across And then break you off a frag. now Frags are 3/4” nubs taken from 3 inch what they’re calling a colony. What we used to call a big frag or a mini colony

Sorry guys but the term colony is probably correct even for what is referred to as a "frag." If there are multiple polyps, then it is called a colony. Best practice in my opinion is to call it something like "100 polyp colony" or "10" colony." Get ready for the single polyp frag which IS NOT a colony, LOL

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
that's why whenever I buy frags, I make sure I see the full colony. when it comes from a big piece, if has a better survival rate, because it's used to being in a tank and getting chopped up. all the places I've gotten frags from, I've seen their colonies, and so far so good. just my $0.02.