• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Will my floor hold my tank?

:eek:

A conversation between my wife and Candi got me thinking, will my floor be able to withstand a 90 gallon tank? We live on the 2nd floor of a 2 family house, the floor is hardwood, not sure how the beams run below us. The spot it's supposed to go held my 55 with about 80 lbs of live rock and 60 lbs live sand at one time and it was fine. Just kinda worried now that I've got the 90 and a sump. And now I'm thinking of downgrading :'(

90lb tank + live rock can push a bit over 1000lbs

I asked the same question of many people regarding my 72g tank in a 105 year old house along a non-weight bearing wall.

Answers I got was that you are pretty safe until you start puching 1700-2000+ lbs.

An outside wall is a better bet than not, but for the most part you should be fine.

well it's almost against an outside wall, there was once a fireplace in the spot it's gonna go, the wall comes out about a foot from the outside wall

If possible check which way the joists are running. I had to move a 125 because it was paralell and only fell on two. When I switched sides of the room it falls on 4. Fixing the giant bow in the floor was not a project I planned on.

I had a 120 (300lb rock) plus 40 gallon sump and 20 gallon refugium along with a 32 gallon brute trashcan in the middle of a 3rd floor condo not even against any walls and was fine with it. Only problem I ever had was the tube on one of my phospan reactors slipped out of the sump when I was cleaning it before bed and flooded the downstairs ceiling and went through to the 1st floor. It was only about 10 gallons of total water but was enough to cause problems. First time I ever used my insurance. :)

Weight wise I never had a problem.

Carlo

Try to find out which way your joists run and size of the joist. There can be a lot of varables the age and way it was built, quality of materials used when the built it. Do not go by what other people say (unless they are in the trade or a engineer), every house/condo is built different