• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Will this work for AWC with the Dos

So I’m in process of setting up DOS for AWC and came across 1/4 irrigation tubing which fits nice and snug in the John Guest fittings. I can get 100 ft of the black for about 5.00. Is there a reason not to use this tubing

image.jpg image.jpg

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Certainly no problem with water leaving the tank....assuming this water is going down the drain. Now, without knowing specifics on the vinyl tube, such as, is it rated as food grade or food safe, I'd be a bit leery using it. Realize vinyls could contain phthalates and/or BPA. Are these a concern for our tanks? I don't know.

If it were me, I'd use it if it was rated food grade. Otherwise I'm sticking to polyethylene tubing.

So it looks like this tubing is vinyl (pvc) no different than using pvc pipe for plumbing. I have everything run and gonna give it a shot. If I notice any I’ll effects then I guess I will swap out and use poly tubing.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
If it’s an emergency and you need something ASAP, I’d use it. I’ve used vinyl tubing for small feed pumps before. I never had an issue. It’s been replaced with silicone since. I’d use the poly if you can, it’s very cheap and available on Amazon for quick delivery.

Just out of
If it’s an emergency and you need something ASAP, I’d use it. I’ve used vinyl tubing for small feed pumps before. I never had an issue. It’s been replaced with silicone since. I’d use the poly if you can, it’s very cheap and available on Amazon for quick delivery.
Just out of curiosity why would this not work? Is it a matter of kinking too easy or just not reef safe?

DangerDave

NJRC Member
It’s a lack of knowledge on my part. I just don’t know if anything would leach from vinyl. I changed because I do know nothing leaches from silicone or poly.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
for my DOS awc i only used the Neptune tubes. it feels different than regular tubing. better safe than sorry.