• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

WTB fluval Sea Evo 13.5gallon

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Yeah, snag the Petco thing. It's 25% off any order over $50 that you pick up, limited time though. We're loading up on frozen fish food and dog food this weekend.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Love mine- so much that after I upgraded the lights and added another pump for flow I got 2 more tanks- it's an addiction- good luck

Love mine- so much that after I upgraded the lights and added another pump for flow I got 2 more tanks- it's an addiction- good luck
Quick question its been a while and i had 90Gal bow last time. My son now old enough, wants to get into the hobby, what skimmer / pump did you upgrade. I just rejoined my membership, my 8 year kid(now 3 of them) hiatus is over :) I'm thinking FOWLR or maybe xenia /softies

Edit: Correction is been 10+ years i'm old ..:frown:

Last edited:

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Quick question its been a while and i had 90Gal bow last time. My son now old enough, wants to get into the hobby, what skimmer / pump did you upgrade. I just rejoined my membership, my 8 year kid(now 3 of them) hiatus is over :) I'm thinking FOWLR or maybe xenia /softies

Edit: Correction is been 10+ years i'm old ..:frown:
I'm old too- had a 110 gal 30 something years ago- jumped back in when recovering from covid- been a year. I didn't upgrade the filtration at all - no skimmer- water changes every 2 weeks though- added a small powerhead for more flow- the stock light is ok for zoas, xenia, kenya tree-( you'll be giving them/tossing them in the near future-frag themselves ) and gsp- green star polyps and ricordia mushrooms will also do well in a tank this size. I'd upgrade the lighting to a 45/ 50 full spectrum dimmable led clip on like the Nicrew. As far as a FOWLR- I think it's too small even with any upgrades for many fish. I started mine with a couple pieces of live rock and a couple dry, live sand and waited a couple of months- you can speed thing up with Dr Tim's bacteria and ammonia and start adding stuff in weeks not months- along with the softies I have mentioned I also have a couple of mushroom leathers, a tailspot blenny ( highly recommended for character, a Springer damsel- nice color, good disposition , and if you add a pair of clowns your tank will be full- forgot the clean up crew-(cuc) a red or blue leg hermit and some snails for algae control and detritus

Last edited:
sorry for the questions i'm just rusty .... i liked these last time, https://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Korali...ords=Hydor+Koralia+Nano&qid=1616079478&sr=8-1 still good? ... I grabbed mini skimmer 45 bucks plus 25% off at petco today.

Amazon.com: DrTim's Aquatics Reef One & Only Nitrifying Bacteria – For Reef, Nano and Seahorse Aquaria, New Fish Tanks, Aquariums, Disease Treatment – H20 Pure Fish Tank Cleaner – Removes Toxins – 4 Oz. (401): Pet Supplies ...

Instant ocean, redsea , corallife still decent salt?

I will need to speed things up but introduce slowly ... i'm thinking only a pair of clowns to be honest. He will be happy and yes snails /hermit crabs.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
sorry for the questions i'm just rusty .... i liked these last time, https://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Korali...ords=Hydor+Koralia+Nano&qid=1616079478&sr=8-1 still good? ... I grabbed mini skimmer 45 bucks plus 25% off at petco today.

Amazon.com: DrTim's Aquatics Reef One & Only Nitrifying Bacteria – For Reef, Nano and Seahorse Aquaria, New Fish Tanks, Aquariums, Disease Treatment – H20 Pure Fish Tank Cleaner – Removes Toxins – 4 Oz. (401): Pet Supplies ...

Instant ocean, redsea , corallife still decent salt?

I will need to speed things up but introduce slowly ... i'm thinking only a pair of clowns to be honest. He will be happy and yes snails /hermit crabs.
I'd get the 240 gph model- 420 is a bit too much for that size tank- yes to Dr Tim's- does he still include ammonia- you'll need some sort of ammonia to cycle- piece of shrimp ( yuk- and smelly ) or his ammonia in a bottle. Some will blast me for this, but for starting a tank, whatever salt is the least expensive- BUT for reef tanks that includes the minerals etc for healthy reefs. And don't install skimmer yet- follow Dr Tim's directions. Petco also has live rock or if you ask here I'm sure someone has some rock to share- just let everyone know what zip code you live in

yeah thank you @crisp1 the 240 was what i was thinking .... thanks any feelings on the black sand..... I was planning to get a new ro unit, now down in point pleasant beach/Bay Head. 46 is now a hike :)

DYIguy

NJRC Member
yeah thank you @crisp1 the 240 was what i was thinking .... thanks any feelings on the black sand..... I was planning to get a new ro unit, now down in point pleasant beach/Bay Head. 46 is now a hike :)
I can't remember why- I'm old lol but there's a good reason not to use black sand- I thought you were in Wallington, sorry- there's a number of members down your way- I got you mixed up with the original poster. I bought the 'Buddy' RO makes 50 gal/day- enough for normal water changes, but it took forever to make 30 gal for my new tank lol- AND all that waste water- I used it for everything- watering plants, laundry, flushing toilets lol- now I'm good with it- around $50- did a search- black sand has metals in it- terrible if you use a magnet cleaner for glass- some say it makes the tank look dreary and absorbs light- also a problem with algae

Last edited:

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member

I can't remember why- I'm old lol but there's a good reason not to use black sand- I thought you were in Wallington, sorry- there's a number of members down your way- I got you mixed up with the original poster. I bought the 'Buddy' RO makes 10 gal/day- enough for normal water changes, but it took forever to make 30 gal for my new tank lol- AND all that waste water- I used it for everything- watering plants, laundry, flushing toilets lol- now I'm good with it- around $50- did a search- black sand has metals in it- terrible if you use a magnet cleaner for glass- some say it makes the tank look dreary and absorbs light- also a problem with algae
Some black sand has metals and volcanic residue in it - this will not allow corals to thrive. Be careful. Other stuff is fine. If any of it sticks to a magnet, then get rid of it. Black sand is also not usually good for sand living and sifting creatures - it is like tiny little razor blades to them with all of the jaggedness and roughness.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Some black sand has metals and volcanic residue in it - this will not allow corals to thrive. Be careful. Other stuff is fine. If any of it sticks to a magnet, then get rid of it. Black sand is also not usually good for sand living and sifting creatures - it is like tiny little razor blades to them with all of the jaggedness and roughness.
I knew there were good reasons not to use it- Thanks