• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

WTB Mag7 or equivalent

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Looking for a backup return pump. Currently using a Mag7 so that or something equal.

I went to feed the tank this morning and realized the return pump stopped.
Gave it a good cleaning and working again. I don't want to take any chances.

radiata

NJRC Member
Just curious... Do you have any thoughts on why it stopped? I've found both Mag and Eheim pumps to be pretty indestructible. I've had a small Mag on my pond that stops late in the year when a berry tree drops them into the pond and they clog the filtered input port.

My sad persona is of the "set-it-and-forget-it" ilk. I use two Eheim 1262 pumps for returns on my main system. I haven't done any maintenance on either of them since I put them on-line many years ago. That said, this info of course falls into the "do-as-I-say-not-do-as-I-do" bucket...

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Just curious... Do you have any thoughts on why it stopped? I've found both Mag and Eheim pumps to be pretty indestructible. I've had a small Mag on my pond that stops late in the year when a berry tree drops them into the pond and they clog the filtered input port.

My sad persona is of the "set-it-and-forget-it" ilk. I use two Eheim 1262 pumps for returns on my main system. I haven't done any maintenance on either of them since I put them on-line many years ago. That said, this info of course falls into the "do-as-I-say-not-do-as-I-do" bucket...
Bob, I believe it was the set it and forget attitude. Once cleaned working just fine. I had a Mag5 that ran for years but did clean it with a quick hot water rinse. Guess I will have to add this to my list of maintenance tasks.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I just picked up a used box of pumps at a yard sale, as I only had 43 extras.
Surprise! A Mag5 and a Mag3 are in there.
The Mag5 is so old the production year was LXXVXII and it was was using bronze gears. 'Odysseus' was carved into it.
Beat it up, took it apart, rinsed it out, and its running like a champ again.
As Bob mentioned, they're pretty indestructible, but they will stop if something jams the impeller or if they're left to dry without being cleaned.