• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

WTB Neptune AFS

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Looking for a Neptune AFS to try on my tank anyone looking to sell one let me know. Thanks

I would tell you don’t they suck.
Apex makes a lot of good product the afs is not one of them.

I have two and you can’t trust them.
I have better luck with the eheim fish feeder.
It works and it’s a 1/4 of the price of a afs

Attachments

• 4A817BF5-F7C4-49DD-ACEA-545330234A4B.png
    4A817BF5-F7C4-49DD-ACEA-545330234A4B.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Already have one of those was just trying to keep everything Apex on my main tank. What makes them so bad?

I understand. At one point I also wanted everything to be apex. But I quickly found out that not a good idea. If your apex goes bad your afs won’t work. If you use the eheim it will continue to work. If you have a power outage the eheim
Is battery operated so it will continue to work.

I am actually setting up my automatic feeders right now.
As I am going to be away from my tanks.
I think the eheim is a better product.
The apex just has better marketing.

If I sell you my afs for $50 I would turn around and buy two more eheim.

Attachments

• 597EAD49-E5EB-4039-B03B-7F4B6F6A2ED2.jpeg
    597EAD49-E5EB-4039-B03B-7F4B6F6A2ED2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Wow They are a little bigger than I thought. Maybe I will try the Eheim. This is how I have it currently. My main food for fish are white worms. The feeder just drops a few pellets in. I currently have it set to feed at noon. Thank you for all of your input I may just stick with the Eheim then and save myself some money for something else. Guess I’ll pick up another Eheim feeder for my smaller tank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

radiata

NJRC Member
Looking for a Neptune AFS to try on my tank anyone looking to sell one let me know. Thanks
If Amado has talked you out of an AFS, I suggest you consider the Avast Plank feeder (The Plank Automatic Feeder). It is pricey. It is also Apex controllable. I use one on my DT to feed my anthias a variety of 1 and 2mm pellets every hour on the hour during the day. (I'll give you my Apex code if it would help.) I doubt that you can find a used Plank - the people who have them love them too much to part with them.

On the ASF, I've owned three. One is still in service on my DT, feeding a variety of 2 and 3mm pellets once a day for my larger fish. I think the second of the three AFS in dead, but I've kept it around because I saw a DIY fix to get them going again (but haven't tried it yet). I don't remember if the third AFS is operational or not. I could test it if you'd be interested in it.

On the Eheim, I've had a few (including the one that does liquids). The one I most recently had in service is not currently in use. I haven't put it back together after dropping in in the tank. This was the second time it went for a swim. The first time I pulled the batteries, ran it under tap water, let it dry out, put it back together and then put it back in service. It is an inexpensive but tough unit. That said, programming it is a real PITA ~ I need to download the instructions every time I need to reset it. There's also a more advanced Eheim feeder available today, but I can't speak to it.

Thanks for your review on all 3. I decided to stick with the Eheim for now and yes I too also have to watch a YouTube video every time I program but it does what I need for now. My fish staple diet is white worms. The feeder supplements with pellets once a day and it seems to be working for now. As for the AFS it appears larger than I thought and it would be tricky to place over my tank.