• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

WTB Santa Monica Algae Scrubber Surf or Hog Model

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I'd save your money. I had 2 of them a while back, not the HOG/Surf model but the drop and it was a the biggest waste of money.

Loud, cheaply made, and overpriced. IMO, go with another ATS or go DIY.

Personally, I'd save your money. I had 2 of them a while back, not the HOG/Surf model but the drop and it was a the biggest waste of money.

Loud, cheaply made, and overpriced. IMO, go with another ATS or go DIY.
Yeah diy was another option I was considering, and really ? That sucks, there not cheap units either. I've seen other reviews about the drop not being worth it as well

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
For that price. I would go with the clear water or ice cap. I have one of each and the clear water is kicking a**

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
The biggest thing is that you cant silence them, so with the bubbler they become super loud, almost like a freshwater bubbler filter.

They also lack a power and airline disconnect. So when you need to service the unit, you need to remove the whole thing.

You can easily DIY any of the models for a fraction of the price, especially the HOG units.

The biggest thing is that you cant silence them, so with the bubbler they become super loud, almost like a freshwater bubbler filter.

They also lack a power and airline disconnect. So when you need to service the unit, you need to remove the whole thing.

You can easily DIY any of the models for a fraction of the price, especially the HOG units.
I may actually DIY it, I might make a build thread for a DIY upflow scrubber. Only thing is lighting it, the rest of the build seems pretty easy. Santa monica sells GEM lights that come UL listed which I may use, unless I can find a cheaper and still safe option.

Link to gem lights - GEM5 underwater submersible plant-grow and algae-grow light for refugiums, algae scrubbers, reactors, hydroponics and aquaponics

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Heres a YouTube for a simple "hog" diy.

For that style any decent LED will work as it will be on the dry side of the sump or wherever.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you're making a surf or drop model, no need to waterproof LED'S

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I’m using a chaetomax 18 watt light on each side. Heat worried me, I used a 1/8 thick acrylic display box as the base for it. The lights are mounted with hard Velcro (like the kind they give you for ezpass). It keeps the light about 1/4 or so off the box which keeps it pretty cool. I’ve had a little bowing, but not enough to care.

I’ve run one of these for over a decade before, it’s very effective. I have to dose nitrates, but it’s smoothed out the phosphate drops and spikes I was getting. Everything in the reef is much, much happier.

it doesn’t have to be fancy, google algae scrubbers and find a design you like and adjust it for your situation. You need a rough clear screen (plastic canvas), water and light on a timer 18 on 6 off.
Dave

DangerDave

NJRC Member
In all reality, the lights and acrylic aren’t cheap, and when you add the labor to build the commercial ones, some of them aren’t so badly priced. If I was going to buy one, it would be A Clearwater or apis unit.

I think @Steven Simon has a Clearwater unit he might be able to tell you about.

I’m using a chaetomax 18 watt light on each side. Heat worried me, I used a 1/8 thick acrylic display box as the base for it. The lights are mounted with hard Velcro (like the kind they give you for ezpass). It keeps the light about 1/4 or so off the box which keeps it pretty cool. I’ve had a little bowing, but not enough to care.

I’ve run one of these for over a decade before, it’s very effective. I have to dose nitrates, but it’s smoothed out the phosphate drops and spikes I was getting. Everything in the reef is much, much happier.

it doesn’t have to be fancy, google algae scrubbers and find a design you like and adjust it for your situation. You need a rough clear screen (plastic canvas), water and light on a timer 18 on 6 off.
Dave
I think im going to use the same light as you but I'm going to run an upflow instead of a waterfall just because of size constraints under my tank, I'll probably start a thread to keep people updated once I get all the parts and everything going

On 2nd thought, I have a brand new kessil h80 sitting in my basement, maybe i can use that instead so i dont even have to buy anything, only trouble with this is mounting it

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I can’t see how they would be as effective as the waterfall scrubbers, but I dont have any experience with an up flow.