• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Wtb some chaeto

Long story short, my lighting schedule for my chateo got messed up and now my chaeto is frail and falling apart and smelling a bit funky. So I'm looking to replace it today as I have a big shipment of pods and phyto out for delivery. Anybody have any they are trimming back or have some for sale that I can pick up today. Preferably in the brick 08723 area. Thanks everybody. Happy new year!

Long story short, my lighting schedule for my chateo got messed up and now my chaeto is frail and falling apart and smelling a bit funky. So I'm looking to replace it today as I have a big shipment of pods and phyto out for delivery. Anybody have any they are trimming back or have some for sale that I can pick up today. Preferably in the brick 08723 area. Thanks everybody. Happy new year!
Frail brittle and funky usually means it's lacking some key nutrients, prohibiting it's growth. Check out a product called ChaetoGro. It can supplement what it needs, allowing it to pull out the other stuff from your water.

Frail brittle and funky usually means it's lacking some key nutrients, prohibiting it's growth. Check out a product called ChaetoGro. It can supplement what it needs, allowing it to pull out the other stuff from your water.
The thing is it was growing ridiculously fast like it filled my refugium tight to where it needed constant trimming, then the lighting schedule got all messed up and it was barely getting any light for about two weeks and here we are. I'm no expert by any means but I thought when it smells bad it's dying.

The thing is it was growing ridiculously fast like it filled my refugium tight to where it needed constant trimming, then the lighting schedule got all messed up and it was barely getting any light for about two weeks and here we are. I'm no expert by any means but I thought when it smells bad it's dying.

It's likely. What about the lighting got messed up? Are you able to revert it, since that is likely the limiting factor then. I would toss the whole batch and start new. If it gets too dense, it's common for the insides to die off, which is just releasing all the nutrients that it pulled out, right back into the water.

It's likely. What about the lighting got messed up? Are you able to revert it, since that is likely the limiting factor then. I would toss the whole batch and start new. If it gets too dense, it's common for the insides to die off, which is just releasing all the nutrients that it pulled out, right back into the water.
So I have one of them reptile light timers with the dials for my refugium light that runs over night. Well the plug for my refugium lights I had turned the wrong way and didn't realize and it was covering the dial so while the dial was spinning it was pushing the tabs in for each hour and I hadn't noticed until I realized the funny smell and looked for the problem. It must have ran like this for like 2 weeks because the timer wasn't like that two weeks ago when I was messing with my wiring behind the stand.
The right way
20201231_094432.jpg
The wrong way (killed my chaeto)
20201231_094442.jpg

Ah, gotcha. I would think a fresh batch, and correct the lighting timer should be good then. I have some, but I'm way up north.
I've since corrected the timer and I agree about replacing the chaeto. If I can't find any local ill be looking into taking a ride as I have two orders of pods out for delivery and not going to dump them in just to pull the chaeto.