• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

X10 Controllers

Does any one use x10 controllers to control the lights on their tanks? I'm trying to control my lights, but they aren't working. Are there any secrets? I've read that electronic ballast interfere with the x10 modules. How do I know if this is my problem. I am new to this technology, so all comments are welcome.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can use the X10 to control many things, they're not good for anything with a ballast. Something about the way they work causes a flicker. They're well suited for heaters, fans, pumps, solenoids, fuge lights, etc. We're using a DC8 for all of our MH lights. You can't use the DC4 unless you get the HD for the IceCap ballasts.

I think the aquacontrollers used x10 on older models. The newer ones use a newer technology which has a control wire from the control wire to the outlets. I am waiting for the June group buy to pick one up. x10.com has all sorts of interference filters you could try also.

I had all sorts of X10 issues with tank control as well as some home lighting issues. that's one of the reasons I now have 2 DC8's. you can connect an X10 Transmitter as the last item. I've always thought that the DC's used X10 but always work because they were hardwired to the ACIII/Jr.

One of the considerations with X10 is that the transmitter has to be on the same leg as the receiver. assuming you have 220 Volts coming into your house its split on 2 posts at your electrical box. there are X10 bridges that connect the 2 but I've never worked with them.

I've got a whole drawer of receivers if your interested

Eric