• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

X10 on AC Jr

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes, yes and not that I know of!

Yes you can use X10's with the Jr. Yes you need that controller. I don't know of a better way.

Keep in mind, though, that X10's can't be used for lights with ballasts.

i used X10s for my old m58 metal halide ballast and electronic PC ballast.... with no problems.. I changed to electronic MH ballast and then it went screwy...

billyr98 said:
i used X10s for my old m58 metal halide ballast and electronic PC ballast.... with no problems.. I changed to electronic MH ballast and then it went screwy...

Yes, this often happens with X10 controllers and electronic ballasts. The problem is caused because the electronic ballasts run at a very high internal frequency, and some of this gets back into the power lines. It's just enough to mess up X10 controlled items. You can filter this, but it's more trouble than it's worth. Most people just get a Direct Connect module of one type or another.

I have read many posts about X-10's not working with MH ballasts. I have absolutly NO knowlegde of how X-10's work, but have a question/suggestion. Could you use the X-10 to trigger a relay to power up the ballast and not get the interferance that causes the problems?