• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

xenia

2 days ago I introduced xenia to my tank. A 20 gal ong 150 watt MH. The xenia were originally from my friends tank but his tank crashed so he gave me his remaining coral. It seems the xenia have not opened up ywt. Its the 3rd day now. It actually seems the xenia shrivled up even smaller then they originally were. I dont know what wrong. Are they dead? If not how would I know corals are dead. Im a newbie to tanks so plz take consideration when giving me answers plz. =/ Thanx

Trio,

Please don't be offended, we are very patient with new hobbyists, but please stop putting livestock in your tank!

I've read your threads over on RC and we need to help you work some things out. I live nearby in Woodbridge and would be happy to help you out.

For starters Let's get some parameters on your tank. SG, ph, temp, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, anything else you may test.

How do you make new saltwater? Do you topoff wit RO/DI or tap water?

I know you are waiting for 2 months to clear up you ich proble, but don't rush to add corals right away either.

Start slow, we can help you get running soon. As far as the Xenia goes, is it in a high flow or low flow area? Is your 20 gallon high or long? In other words how deep is it? What kind of lighting did you friend have it under, and how long did he have it before the tank crashed?

nothing wrong with a 150w MH over a 20 long, the question is how high of the water & whats the temp.
i had a 250w MH over my 29 gallon 9 inch off the water with good fans & heat was not an issue.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Xenia tends to melt if it isn't happy in an environment. They are a fussy coral and do GREAT in some tanks and melt away never to be seen again in others. If everything else looks good and your Ammo/Nitrite/Nitrate/Phosphate numbers are in line you fall into the latter category. Otherwise start doing frequent small water changes until things get back in line. Try also running some carbon in your system and see if that helps any.

Xenia needs a nice flow of water to open up.  Too much and nothing too lil and nothing.  Get them in a nice swirl of water though and they do great.

Where are they in now?

I had mine about 2 feet from the wavemaker mid tank and they started to crawl up to the light (260 watts PC). They thrived in that location. The more they swayed in the water the better they did. Other locations I had them in they didn't do nearly as good. Not sure how they do with MH intensity. If you tank parameters are good i'd try moving them around a bit. See what happens. That all grew from one small frag in a few months.

Attachments

• Picture 062Smaller.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 143
Xenia does great under 250w MH :)
this is my one side of the 210 when i had some, it did great as a nutrient
export, carefull though when u have this much & it starts to melt it can
kill nice SPS.
Xenia2.jpg

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Steve,

That is really cool on the back wall of your tank. I just started a 55 gallon tank just for xenia.
I may grow it up the back wall like that. Thanks for sharing the pic.

I have also had the best luck with xenia under 250 MH lights. It pulses like crazy under MH lighting. I also does well under 4 T5s but not as well as MH.

Ed.

no it start it to melt & killed 2 of my nice SPS on that side so i took it all out & got rid of it no more xenia :)
it was cool looking when it was on there but just like zoos & shrooms it is very toxic.