• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Yellow Tang Alternative

With yellow tangs being impossible to find, or ridiculously expensive, what is a good alternative utilitarian fish? I have a blue tang in there, but I’m looking for something that would also help eat the algae on the rocks.

I'm reading up on scopas now. Was also looking at possibly getting a lawnmower blenny, but I'm reading mixed reactions on how reef safe they are.

Scopas is a similar shape and probably the cheapest alternative. Purples are around the same price as yellows now. I like blue eyed kole tangs and flame fin tomini tangs also - do a good job with algae, stay smaller, and seem to be less aggressive than yellows. Both would be cheaper than yellows nowadays.

Lots of options out there. Purples are reallly pretty. Scopas do have the most yellow to them. the Two Spot also looks really nice and has nice colors.

Salted

NJRC Member
I'm reading up on scopas now. Was also looking at possibly getting a lawnmower blenny, but I'm reading mixed reactions on how reef safe they are.
Lawnmower blennies are as unique as lawnmowers. Bland looking. Have you looked at a bi color blenny? I just added a Starry blenny, really good looking fish imho. Come by and check him out.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
From my Expirience urchins eat more algae than any tang. I try to keep a fox face in every tank I feel they also eat more algae than tangs. If your tank is small I would go with a lawnmower blenny.
Sea hare also will eat more algae than any fish.