• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Yellow Tang passing an egg sack

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think one of my Yellow Tanks is passing an egg sack. Is it possible? If so I think that is cool. I wonder how many eggs it might pass and will they live?

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here are some photos
636_11_04_08_9_07_56.JPG

636_11_04_08_9_08_34.JPG

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My tank is 180 gallons.
I wonder how long it takes fro them to batch and when they do how big will they be?

I couldn't find anything on the internet about it. Might want to think about how the babies eat. I would probably begin with the steps on breeding clowns. Figure out how to hatch rotifers, etc.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I would try contacting ORA with pics. I'm sure they could give you info. since they used to raise hippo tangs from wild eggs.
Worth a shot.

Daniel said:
I think one of my Yellow Tanks is passing an egg sack. Is it possible? If so I think that is cool. I wonder how many eggs it might pass and will they live?

Check out www.marinebreeder.org, lots of breeding experts over there...though haven't seen any talk about tangs, always thought they were near impossible to get to breed except in large public aquariums.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thank you all for the info. I never thought it would be so hard to get info about this.
Daniel

tbaquatics said:
Daniel said:

Check out www.marinebreeder.org, lots of breeding experts over there...though haven't seen any talk about tangs, always thought they were near impossible to get to breed except in large public aquariums.

Looks like a great site thanks for the link.

Here's a thread i found Daniel, looks like you could make history!

Yellow tang larvae have been raised?

Dang thats cool! So it still looks the same? Hmm wonder how long it will carry the eggs... hopefully you'll be in the Guinness book of world records ;)

best of luck!!!