• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Yellow Tang with a Purple Tang

I have a large yellow tang in my 225 and I would really like to add a purple tang. I realize that because they are conspecies this is often a problem. I just wanted some feedback from others. My yellow is not very aggresive, but then again he is the largest fish in the tank. Thanks!

If memory serves, purple tangs are aggressive as far as tangs go. But you should be OK if the yellow is bigger and the purple is the last tang to be put in the tank.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think it's really hit or miss. I have a Sohal which I thought was non agressive, until I put a 1/2 black mimic (which is of totally different coloration and body shape) in, the Sohal nearly killed him in about 2 hours, it got so bad that the mimic actually let me net it out.

I would also try and get a bigger tang than your Yellow, if you put a smaller one in and the yellow tang is aggressive towards it, it won't stand a chance. (in my opinion obviously)

I agree with Brian ... try and go Larger than any current tangs. Also try putting the new guy in after lights out. This way he has a whole night to get over his acclimation stress and then if the Yellow goes after him he won't be "as" stressed.

Another thing is try building a "box" out of eggcrate. Mod it so you can hang it on the edge of your tank and large enough for your new fish. Put the new fish in the eggcrate box and this way you can monitor your yellow tang. He'll smell him and see him but he won't be able to get to him. If he's attacking the eggcrate then you know it's not good.

Also try rearranging rock to create new territories. Your tank is pretty large and two tangs like that have a better chance in your tank than ones that I've already seen Yellows and Purples in together.

Good luck and keep us updated. Sorry for the long post.

-mike.

In a 225 I wouldn't worry or think there is going to be much of a problem. I've got a bunch of different tangs in my tank and haven't had a problem yet.

I've setup my dad's tank and a few friends tank with the same 2 tangs and haven't really seen a problem either. I personally think the purple/yellow tang thing is overrated and not much of a problem.

You just have to keep in mind the purple tang is one of the more aggressive tangs.

Carlo

We have a purple tang and a yellow tang in our 180. The yellow tang chases the purple tang all day. Except at feeding they forget about their differences. We have quite a few tangs and the rest get along fine. We also have plenty of rock work so they all have their own territories. Definitely go with a larger purple tang if you decide to go that way.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When we had our 120 we added a purple tang. The yellow was about twice his size. They bickered for the first couple of hours (best to turn the lights off after you introduce them, and feed heavily before). After that they got along just fine. It's going to come down to the traits of your fish, I'm afraid. Good luck with the purchase.

Thanks to all for the input. I will let you know who turns out. I think your posts have convinced me to give it a try. I plan to aquire the purple in the next month or so. We'll see how my Christmas shopping (actually my wife's)affects my budget.

Hi...I have a Yellow and Purple tang as well as a Hippo tang in my 135 reef. The Hippo (by 3 years) and Yellow (by a year) were there first when I added the Purple hoping the size of the tank, its many hiding places, a slight increase in feeding frequency, the presence of a clip with seaweed for the Hippo and Yellow to pick at during the day and the slightly smaller size of the Purple would minimize any aggression toward it.

It worked. BUT at first, the Yellow constantly went after the Purple for about a week, with the Purple at first hiding a lot in one area of the tank, then slowly fighting back to the point where there were some tears in the dorsal fins of both fish. After a week the aggression became less intense, ie no trying to cut each other with the knife-like blade near their caudal fins. They did however chase one another and on rare occasions, still do. Note..the Hippo chased the Purple but only when it crossed its path and with much less intensity.

Dom