• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Yellow Toadstool - not open ?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I just upgraded to a 75 gallon tank. The Yellow Toadstool did great in the other tank. It opened in my new tank for a few days and then closed; hasn't opened in about a week. All other coral, inverts, fish are doing fine. I only have some softies and shrooms. The only thing I noticed is that a large finger coral broke apart and died. I since removed as much dead coral I could reach. The tank has only been up for two weeks and not sure if I should do a small water change. I kept as much water from the old tank as I could. Here are the parameters of water as of today.

Ammonia- 0.2
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10
PH- 8.4
SG- 1.0225
Alkalinity- 300
temperature- 80 F

Thanks,
Mark

I'm sure others with much more experience will chime in but IMO if you are reading ammonia & higher nitrates (not that 10 is all that high but I know in a reef we try to keep them as low as possible) I'd do a water change for sure. I'd also slowly up the salinity, I keep mine at 1.025 which I think is pretty standard for a reef.

As for the yellow leather, how does it look? Rotting at all? Shiny? Might just be growing? My neon green toadstool closed up on me for over a week, I was very worried... then it opened back up bigger then ever.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Thanks, for the replies. It's not rotting and at times looks like the polyps may come out but don't. I will do a water chnage tonight and up the salinity.

Mark

Agreed on those two parameters.

Leathers are weird sometimes. When I fragged my leather it shrunk up for about 9 days and now its back in full bloom.

They will close up and then one day perk up again. As long as there is no visible rotting, give some time to adjust.

Remember it has undergone stress and is now in a new position for flow and lighting. No matter how hard you try to put it back in the same place, there are differences.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
One more stupid question. I have a sump so when I do the water chnage do I siphon from the main tank, sump or doesn't matter?

Mark

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Doesn't matter. I alternate between the 2. If I am going to do a water change on my fragtank, I syphon from the sump. Regular water changes I do from the main tank so I can syphon the detritus off the rocks and sand bed.

Sounds like you are getting a mini-cycle from the move.

I would do another water change and keep doing some every few days until you loose the ammonia.

Leathers will close as described. Give it a couple of blasts with a turkey baster everyday and make sure it doesn't start to fall apart. As long as it's not getting soft it should open again soon. You may see some mucous slough off, that's OK.

I do my water changes both ways, from tank or sump, and sometimes from both. On my 75 I can get 10 gallons from the tank before I expose too many corals. On a quick change, that is what I do. If I'm doing pump maintenance, I drain the sump. If I want more than 10 gallons I use the phosban reactor I run carbon in to pump from the sump while I siphon 10 gallons from the tank.