• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

YI dome camera

Search WYZE camera time to time they get in 19.99$, have free cloud service and 1080P. You can set motion and sound alert. Very nice camera and cheap too.

You are first one I heard saying Wyze quality is not good. Did you removed the plastic film from the lens, most people have this issue. If that is not the case then contact customer service, they are good in fixing issues.
I was traveling internationally in March and I had breakin in my house here, luckily I had only one wyze cam in my house pointing towards my fish tank, so I can watch my tank from overseas and control stuff from there, as I had all the tank equipments on WiFi switches. Because of this wyze cam which was intended to capture only fish tank, it ended up recording the hands of the guy who broke in the house, his tattoos were identified by the Detectives and he got caught. Since then I have added couple of more cams in house, they all have very good quality.
I tried other cams in past but they lack in some feature, but the cloud recording is best feature with 1080 recording on wyze.
Once I encountered quality issue and customer service asked me to rotate the modes from night, day and auto and it fixed the issue, otherwise they were ready to send replacement.
So give a try.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
You are first one I heard saying Wyze quality is not good. Did you removed the plastic film from the lens, most people have this issue. If that is not the case then contact customer service, they are good in fixing issues.
I was traveling internationally in March and I had breakin in my house here, luckily I had only one wyze cam in my house pointing towards my fish tank, so I can watch my tank from overseas and control stuff from there, as I had all the tank equipments on WiFi switches. Because of this wyze cam which was intended to capture only fish tank, it ended up recording the hands of the guy who broke in the house, his tattoos were identified by the Detectives and he got caught. Since then I have added couple of more cams in house, they all have very good quality.
I tried other cams in past but they lack in some feature, but the cloud recording is best feature with 1080 recording on wyze.
Once I encountered quality issue and customer service asked me to rotate the modes from night, day and auto and it fixed the issue, otherwise they were ready to send replacement.
So give a try.
The quality of stationary things is great. However, when the fish tank blues get involved it's a disaster. I wonder if I put a lens in front of the camera if it would help.

carfule with these cheap cameras as they can be easily hacked
You are already a lot hacked by Facebook, Instagram and google than these cams. You feel safe but most of your information is already accessed by web bowser, these apps and social media sites. No wonder these are multi billion dollar industry.

The quality of stationary things is great. However, when the fish tank blues get involved it's a disaster. I wonder if I put a lens in front of the camera if it would help.
That blue will always look same no matter what camera you use unless you have special filter lens. Try putting gel filter in front of lens.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
You are already a lot hacked by Facebook, Instagram and google than these cams. You feel safe but most of your information is already accessed by web bowser, these apps and social media sites. No wonder these are multi billion dollar industry.

There a different between being 'listen in on' by social media and being hacked. These devices get hacked and become hops to allow hackers to gain access to your devices, like computer or phone. They then can gain access to your bank accounts etc...

There a different between being 'listen in on' by social media and being hacked. These devices get hacked and become hops to allow hackers to gain access to your devices, like computer or phone. They then can gain access to your bank accounts etc...
But what you are afraid of can easily be done by using your laptop, desktop and even smart TV, so should we stop using that. Ideal solution is get rid of all the digital tracks you have including cell phone and internet connections. But that we can’t.
For the time being, I if you buy any digital device from a reliable company and knows how to secure the home network then it is tough to hack your information.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
But what you are afraid of can easily be done by using your laptop, desktop and even smart TV, so should we stop using that. Ideal solution is get rid of all the digital tracks you have including cell phone and internet connections. But that we can’t.
For the time being, I if you buy any digital device from a reliable company and knows how to secure the home network then it is tough to hack your information.

It can happen almost anywhere, but I agree whole heartedly with James here. Taking the proper precautions and having a defensive posture on your home network goes a long way to make sure you're not an easy target. Not using devices/software that do not allow you to take a defensive posture goes a long way....

Dave

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor

As you said. ‘Buy any digital device from a reliable company’. I agree with. What I said was watch out with those cheap cameras. These cheap cameras are made in China which have back doors built into them. Also most folks do not properly secure their home network and with all of these IoT out there more and more devices are getting hacked and allowing hackers into private information like banking account and credit cards. I don’t put my TV on the network even though it is a ‘smart’ TV as there are security issues with many smart TVs. Doesn’t matter if you secure your network if you connect a device that is vulnerable or have backdoors in them. It’s like locking your front door but having a hide-a-key. Most people know where to look for a hide-a-key and now they have access to your ‘secure’ home.